b-ware

Quabbin

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

7 mins ago, clambellies said:

Some salmon that went over the spillway have been seen cruising around in the Catch & release section of the river.  Seeing them is one thing, catching them is another thing, and finding a place to park your car is something else entirely.

Why not share a ride with a friend , you fish one time and he fishes another. Parking will always raise its ugly head in many places we all like to fish, I thought the locals had set up a parking system to allow the freedom to fish.

Sounds like a good case to bring up at some meeting by concerned fishermen who like to fish. How about creating more legal parking for the users. Especially for those who may be handicap or are Veterans . That seems to be where some focus has been going in some locations where there is not much parking for those that are handicap or are veterans. Perhaps making friends with some farmer along the river would help give you some parking area to fish? In another time we made friends with  a local pig farmer here on the canal and he invited me up to fish some of the upper waters, Sorry to say I never took him up on it, but thats life

I just reminded myself that in another time I happened to work on a cow and pig farm if I can recall the name of the town as being Dodge . We used to collect all the garbage for the pigs back then. It was one of the towns that was flooded when they made Quabin. also rattlesnake Island?

I just looked up the four towns they filled in and I was unable to find the name of Dodge in the mix . So now I am on  research mission to locate this town or as i recall what I was told over so many years ago.

19 mins ago, troutworm said:

A1,I have a small paperback book called The Creation of Quabbin Resevoir,

subtitled The death of the Swift River Valley,by J.R.Greene.Very informative.

Thank you I would be interested in reading it . I have been racking my brain about when i was a child during the early 50's working on a Pig farm that I thought was in Dodge Mass. It might have been the name of the post office or the farmer I worked for . I was like 15 or 16 during that time frame. I have a feeler out to the historic folks who have cataloged this flooding event and hopefully I will get an answer to my question.

Angler #1:

Dodge-Isn't that the town Marshall Dillon hung out?

Merry Christmas and healthy and happy New Year.

regards

Peter DiGiovanni

12 mins ago, Peter D said:

Angler #1:

regards

Peter DiGiovanni

Naw........That's the car he drove.......

1 hour ago, Peter D said:

Angler #1:

regards

Peter DiGiovanni

PETER Merry Christmas to you as well Brother

Parking at the Rt 9 bridge to access the Swift C&R area will always be at a premium, and I doubt there's much we can do about it. The land in question is part of the Quabbin watershed and is under the control of the DCR I believe. Perhaps Bernie can elaborate. Also, all the easy parking below the Windsor Dam was eliminated after 9/11 to protect the watershed.

3 hours ago, unskunk said:

Naw........That's the car he drove.......

Or he used it to "get out of Dodge" before they flooded everything. :shaky:

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Parking at the Rt 9 bridge to access the Swift C&R area will always be at a premium, and I doubt there's much we can do about it. The land in question is part of the Quabbin watershed and is under the control of the DCR I believe. Perhaps Bernie can elaborate. Also, all the easy parking below the Windsor Dam was eliminated after 9/11 to protect the watershed.

Now that the new water line to the hatchery is complete fishermen have been parking on the south side of Rt. 9 in the area that was used as a staging area.  I can't remember the Street name but across Rt.9 from the C&R area I have seen cars parked on the side of that road and it is a short walk to the C&R area.  There is also another area to the east to leads to the Y pool that will hold maybe 5 or 6 cars.  (don't block the gate)

12 mins ago, b-ware said:

Now that the new water line to the hatchery is complete fishermen have been parking on the south side of Rt. 9 in the area that was used as a staging area.  I can't remember the Street name but across Rt.9 from the C&R area I have seen cars parked on the side of that road and it is a short walk to the C&R area.  There is also another area to the east to leads to the Y pool that will hold maybe 5 or 6 cars.  (don't block the gate)

Thanks. I have to take a drive there in the near future to check it out. I was planning on making a few trips to the c&r area in Dec, but given the present water conditions, that looks like it not going to happen.

3 mins ago, bob_G said:

Thanks. I have to take a drive there in the near future to check it out. I was planning on making a few trips to the c&r area in Dec, but given the present water conditions, that looks like it not going to happen.

I go take a look in the next day or two, even with water  coming over the spillway they cut back on the water coming into the river from the dam so the water levels do not fluctuate that much.....

8 mins ago, b-ware said:

I go take a look in the next day or two, even with water  coming over the spillway they cut back on the water coming into the river from the dam so the water levels do not fluctuate that much.....

So the water around the bubbler and y pool isn't raging? It could be fishable?

32 mins ago, bob_G said:

So the water around the bubbler and y pool isn't raging? It could be fishable?

The East branch of the Y pool is the waters coming over the spillway and yes, there is some current there, from the Y pool back up to the power house is tranquil as they are cutting back on the release water from the dam (bubbler)………...