b-ware

Quabbin

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

With that last rain storm, another huge flow of water travelled downstream on the Middle Branch of the Swift, running past my house on it's way to the Q.  You can expect the spillway to be roaring for quite a while longer.

2 mins ago, clambellies said:

With that last rain storm, another huge flow of water travelled downstream on the Middle Branch of the Swift, running past my house on it's way to the Q.  You can expect the spillway to be roaring for quite a while longer.

Just came back from the mighty Q and it is going over at a good flow, if we get a wet winter it should be an awesome sight come spring...………...

6 mins ago, b-ware said:

Just came back from the mighty Q and it is going over at a good flow, if we get a wet winter it should be an awesome sight come spring...………...

How does this affect the fish?

7 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

How does this affect the fish?

In the reservoir it self, I don't think there is much change at all.  Some say lake trout and ll salmon will go over the spillway into the Swift River, if they survive the fall.  The Swift River will experience some flow changes, but, minor flow changes as the MRW will close of the water flowing out of the resy.  There might also be some temperature fluctuations also in the river but I have no idea how that would effect the fishing...………….

It is a marvel how traveling fish can overcome the flow of water and find a way to get around the down stream force and still survive to be caught up stream . One can say its all about survival of the fittest for those fish that are able to overcome this natural force when the water is high.

6 hours ago, b-ware said:

In the reservoir it self, I don't think there is much change at all.  Some say lake trout and ll salmon will go over the spillway into the Swift River, if they survive the fall.  The Swift River will experience some flow changes, but, minor flow changes as the MRW will close of the water flowing out of the resy.  There might also be some temperature fluctuations also in the river but I have no idea how that would effect the fishing...………….

Some salmon that went over the spillway have been seen cruising around in the Catch & release section of the river.  Seeing them is one thing, catching them is another thing, and finding a place to park your car is something else entirely.