Big Will

Different minnow lures and their uses

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I think with so many options out there it would be nice to have a thread listing all of the minnow type lures and how and when to use them. They're all different and some prefer one over the other but it seems each has it's own unique application. Theres sp minnows, bombers of all different types, redfins, crystal minnows, hydro minnows, hellcats, rebels, handcarves by various builders and many more. Then of course there is different sizes and even loading that can be done to varying degrees. So let's here about your favorites and how you use them. 

Will:

The attached .pdf is Russ Bassdozer's Surf Plugology article of 50+ pages that addresses plugs dating back to Musso, Pichney and Gibbs, as well as (towards the end of the article) all the different Rebels (Super Minnow, Sinking Minnow, etc), the Hellcat and the Bombers.  Does not address the later  minnows that you mention.

Dis-regarding color, my general usage principal is that I want to feel the plug working at the slowest possible retrieve that will just keep the line taught.  If I choose a plug and this does not happen, I will switch to a wider lip, as the general cause is a faster current.  As Russ notes, the best minnow ever for strong sweeping current was the Rebel Super Minnow.  I only use mine in the surf if I absolutely believe fish to be present but not hitting anything else.  I hold them in reserve for the surf because of the tendency to lose the lips from rubbing on the sand during the last few feet of the retrieve.  However, they have been an absolutely great producer in the PP Canal when the current is ripping and the bass are surface feeding.  All the other minnow types ( I have them all except for Hellcats) will spin in this strong current.

Of course, for me, none of this applied this year, which has been my worst since 1985 or so. 

Surf Plugology.pdf

Just as a place to start, SP minnows are great as a searchbait to figure out where fish are feeding, after that, adapting to the forage and conditions with a more specified approach can give better results.

14 hours ago, FlatWing said:

Will:

The attached .pdf is Russ Bassdozer's Surf Plugology article of 50+ pages that addresses plugs dating back to Musso, Pichney and Gibbs, as well as (towards the end of the article) all the different Rebels (Super Minnow, Sinking Minnow, etc), the Hellcat and the Bombers.  Does not address the later  minnows that you mention.

Dis-regarding color, my general usage principal is that I want to feel the plug working at the slowest possible retrieve that will just keep the line taught.  If I choose a plug and this does not happen, I will switch to a wider lip, as the general cause is a faster current.  As Russ notes, the best minnow ever for strong sweeping current was the Rebel Super Minnow.  I only use mine in the surf if I absolutely believe fish to be present but not hitting anything else.  I hold them in reserve for the surf because of the tendency to lose the lips from rubbing on the sand during the last few feet of the retrieve.  However, they have been an absolutely great producer in the PP Canal when the current is ripping and the bass are surface feeding.  All the other minnow types ( I have them all except for Hellcats) will spin in this strong current.

Of course, for me, none of this applied this year, which has been my worst since 1985 or so. 

Surf Plugology.pdf

Thanks! I remember reading this. Very useful.. I'll have to read over it again it's been awhile and I probably skipped alot of stuff 

Edited by Big Will

On 12/9/2018 at 9:25 AM, Big Will said:

I think with so many options out there it would be nice to have a thread listing all of the minnow type lures and how and when to use them. They're all different and some prefer one over the other but it seems each has it's own unique application. Theres sp minnows, bombers of all different types, redfins, crystal minnows, hydro minnows, hellcats, rebels, handcarves by various builders and many more. Then of course there is different sizes and even loading that can be done to varying degrees. So let's here about your favorites and how you use them. 

Black Bombers at 3 AM tough to beat

16 mins ago, codfish said:

Black Bombers at 3 AM tough to beat

Can’t argue with that, I usually start with an SP minnow (blurple at night and bone in the sunshine) just because they cast better to cover more ground. Then if a minnow lire is still the best option, bombers for sure (in the same color scheme night/day).