Skkeeter

Face shields..........?

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

I can’t quite figure out why anybody would need a bandana face shield, especially the ones with skeletons or monster faces, when out fishing. What’s behind this strange new fashion trend that I see on social media? Or is it that, simply a trend. Because in the 30 years I’ve been fishing rivers, lakes, and oceans, I’ve never needed one. Except maybe as a Emergency toilet paper replacement. 

Limiting my response to the functionality of the bandana face shields, they exist also as a I-piece that can be pulled down so as to eat/drink on the water, and function as a high-SPF sunburn prevention, having, as far as I know, originated on the Gulf coast.  I suspect that fishing here in NJ in the hot months, one would be wise to own one as well.  I have the high SPF Cabela Guide Wear pants (zip-off leg cargo style), Columbia and Cabela shirts and a neck/ear shield that attaches to a bill cap, as well as the Cabela's Guide Wear sun gloves, and use SPF-50 sunscreen on my face and ears.

Honestly, ever since one of my fellow surf fisherman (Bob M.) died of Skin Cancer that started over his right eye, I either leave the beach early or arrive late in the afternoon, with most of my hot-month fishing being done in the dark. 

Being a ginger, I burn in the summer in about 20 minutes. I can either choose to slather myself with sunscreen every hour or two, or put on a hat and a face mask. I have about a half dozen or so of them.  None of them have skulls though, never was a fan of that look.

Edited by Kima

I’m not really a fan of the “skeleton” or “monster” faces on sun masks but give give me a huk sun gaitor over sun screen any day. 

Here in Texas I kayak fish miles offshore in hundred degree weather mid day. Sunscreen protects for a limited time before you have to re-apply, then you get an unnatural scent on your hands and if you sweat, sunscreen in your eyes. The longer I’ve lived here, the more covered up with fabric I’ve gotten. I started with long sleeve shirts, then added sun gaiters, then finally added pants. I get less burnt and feel cooler covered up then when I used sunscreen. 

You ever walk the west end trail or fish the back bays at night in the summer ? I wear a thin black one keep the skeeters and gnats out my mouth, nose and ears .. or if it freezing they nice .. skeleton ones and all that nonsense is for yeti toting pro staffers 

Beats using sun screen. I’ve used 1 for years. With a hat and sunglasses on nothing is exposed to the sun when I have my buff on. I don’t have skeletons but I have Mahi, Redfish, Gecko, and a bunch of others. I also have a lot of friends with skin cancer and I fish several times a week and am over 70. I wish they had these a long time ago.

Protects you from sun, wind burn, some of them have bug repellant built in.  No brainer really, especially with all the studies now coming out about how the chemicals in sunscreen are killing the environment!!!!

6 mins ago, Kima said:

You guys wear one in the winter to stay warm?  You should pick up a fleece one.  I bought one for hunting, it's fantastic.

Is there a cold weather face mask that *doesn't* fog up your shades? 

They are versatile and if you dont have a turtleneck on a cold day you can use it as a neck and head warmer.  I wear dew rags when im fishing and working in the yard or in the woods.  And face shields on cold days or hunting.  These can be used in any fashion from a dew rag to a face shield.   I dont care for the skull prints and prefer camo patterns.  Kudos to the guy marketing them here on this site.  He must be making a mint.

Edited by Baccigalup

I have an Orvis one with insect repellent built in. It’s the real deal. I use it during all seasons

This was brought up in a previous thread last  or two years ago and lots of people were bashing it. Happy to see sentiment has mostly changed. Agreed that the skull ones are lame but you can’t deny their benefits. 

Only issue is that they do fog up my glasses. I have wide lense Smith’s so maybe I’ll go smaller frame next time and it will help. 

I have been wearing them for years, not a trend thing at all, it's a health thing. I wear a face mask, sun shirt, and bucket hat, pretty sure I'm not winning any fashion shows with that get up.

Skin cancer runs on both sides of my family, I watched a close family member wither away and die from it, it was horrific. I'm fine with looking goofy when I fish, even if people think I'm a pretender.

Like mentioned, no sunscreen needed. Being I fish out of a kayak and in Florida the sun beats the heck out of your skin, plus skin cancer is so prevalent from the exposure. Even in the hot humid summer I wear a face buff. 

The best ones are the ones with vented mouth opening. You don’t feel your warn breath back at you and it doesn’t affect your sunglasses. 

Year long i wear long pants, sleeves, hat. As much covering as possible. 

Edited by saltfisherman