Fishy4335

Replacing a few guides?!

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

You need nothing more than a spool of rod winding thread  and some books to run the thread through for tension. I've built  plenty of rods that way and they are made every bit as well as the ones I've built using expensive tools. Go to the rod building forum. There's far more info in there than I can give you here. Bottom line; a spool of thread and your own two hand is all you need. It's always good to learn a new skill. Good luck and have fun.

Edited by valentine

9 mins ago, Fishy4335 said:

Do you need a rod building machine to rewrap guides, or can you efficiently do this without all that machinery?

Nothing needed to wrap a guide aside from some thread and possibly a bobbin... a spinner would be needed to epoxy it

3 mins ago, Beachglass Guru said:

Nothing needed to wrap a guide aside from some thread and possibly a bobbin... a spinner would be needed to epoxy it

You don't need a motorized spinner. Cut two "V" notches in the ends of a cardboard shoe box. That makes a cradle/stand for the rod to use while you apply the epoxy. Once the epoxy is on the wraps simply rotate the rod 180 degrees every 10 minutes for a couple of hours. You only have to do it that frequently until the epoxy starts to set up. It's pretty easy and I built/repaired rods for years without a motorized dryer.

2 mins ago, valentine said:

You don't need a motorized spinner. Cut two "V" notches in the ends of a cardboard shoe box. That makes a cradle/stand for the rod to use while you apply the epoxy. Once the epoxy is on the wraps simply rotate the rod 180 degrees every 10 minutes for a couple of hours. You only have to do it that frequently until the epoxy starts to set up. It's pretty easy and I built/repaired rods for years without a motorized dryer.

Good DIY for sure.. but I'd never remember to spin it, lol.. I just set it and forget it. 

1 min ago, Beachglass Guru said:

Good DIY for sure.. but I'd never remember to spin it, lol.. I just set it and forget it. 

Yeah, I hear you. I only did it on days when I didn't have to go anywhere. Doing it manually like that certaily does anchor you to the project. It does work well, though.

37 mins ago, Fishy4335 said:

Do you need a rod building machine to rewrap guides, or can you efficiently do this without all that machinery?

not at all.

I made my own rig from a 5 inch wide board an inch thick,then added 2 vertical pieces[from the same single piece of wood] that are 8 inches long then cut a V in them for the rod to rest,I spin the rod by hand,works great!

can sit on a table and wrap yer guides on without hassle.

HH 

ps-,I have fully rebuilt rods with what I described to you a few times although I made it just to repair guides.

Edited by Roddy

I used a rotisserie motor to turn the rod I made years ago to finish it. It worked well. No fancy winding equipment either, just books to tension the thread and I used bent wire hangers to support the rod. 

On 12/8/2018 at 7:17 PM, Roddy said:

not at all.

I made my own rig from a 5 inch wide board an inch thick,then added 2 vertical pieces[from the same single piece of wood] that are 8 inches long then cut a V in them for the rod to rest,I spin the rod by hand,works great!

can sit on a table and wrap yer guides on without hassle.

HH 

ps-,I have fully rebuilt rods with what I described to you a few times although I made it just to repair guides.

If you can find some old roller skate wheels, use them instead of the v-notches.  I've been using that sort of set up for 30 or 40 years, on everything from 1-weight fly rods to 80-pound standups, and it has worked just fine.  

One trick is to wrap masking tape around the wheels, and replace it every now and again, so the wheels don't mar light-colored blanks.

If you just want to get the rod back in service and don't care much about looks, it is really simple.  I've used 5 minute epoxy and braid to replace a guide.  There are plenty of videos on utubes  to guide you.  Honestly you can even use tightly wound electrical tape.   It will look pretty ghetto, but it will work just as well. 

9 hours ago, CWitek said:

If you can find some old roller skate wheels, use them instead of the v-notches.  I've been using that sort of set up for 30 or 40 years, on everything from 1-weight fly rods to 80-pound standups, and it has worked just fine.  

One trick is to wrap masking tape around the wheels, and replace it every now and again, so the wheels don't mar light-colored blanks.

I failed to mention that I put felt in the notches.

it has been very good and non marring since day one.

HH

On 12/8/2018 at 6:52 PM, valentine said:

You need nothing more than a spool of rod winding thread  and some books to run the thread through for tension. I've built  plenty of rods that way and they are made every bit as well as the ones I've built using expensive tools. Go to the rod building forum. There's far more info in there than I can give you here. Bottom line; a spool of thread and your own two hand is all you need. It's always good to learn a new skill. Good luck and have fun.

Excellent!!! I will try this