Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mark L

Knipex round nose pliers

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

For those that use them are they worth the money? I’m not bending plug wire but SS wire .051 diameter. I’ve tried the DIY methods but didn’t get great results so for those that tried these pliers are they worth the few extra dollars. 

Thanks for any feedback 

Yes. When I started building didn’t know of them and once switched they make building more efficient and easy.  Wish I knew earlier would have been more along than I was. 

48 mins ago, Antagonizer said:

Yes. When I started building didn’t know of them and once switched they make building more efficient and easy.  Wish I knew earlier would have been more along than I was. 

Sounds then that they worked out well for you, good to know. 

I know this is an older post but can anyone recommend the standard Knipex round nose vs long tip round nose for plug wire bending?

6 mins ago, BG_NJ said:

I know this is an older post but can anyone recommend the standard Knipex round nose vs long tip round nose for plug wire bending?

I think I have the standard ones and I like them. They worked well for me, I would recommend them.  Not sure about the long tip ones, I can measure the the ones I have if that helps. 

Just now, Mark L said:

I think I have the standard ones and I like them. They worked well for me, I would recommend them.  Not sure about the long tip ones, I can measure the the ones I have if that helps. 

Yeah after searching a bit more I'm gonna go with the standard I think. The long nose are $12 more and I just need them to finish a few beginner plug kits I bought to deal with winter boredom. Thanks for the response!

the ones you are looking for are the 180's...but they are no longer made..the next ones that will work well are the 160's...the long thin ones i'd stay away from..they bend/not strong.

2 mins ago, capesams said:

the ones you are looking for are the 180's...but they are no longer made..the next ones that will work well are the 160's...the long thin ones i'd stay away from..they bend/not strong.

Yes mine are the 160’s. 

$25 ??

I have multiple pairs, 6 or 7, all different sizes and didn't pay $25 total for all of them

My favorite pair, vintage ones that I'll stack up against any others, were made by the Kraeuter company out of Newark NJ - might have paid $2 for them at a flea market

FWIW, any type pliers by Kraeuter are excellent

I have several pair of Knipex hard wire cutters, and they're the best, but I don't see why a bending plier needs to be Knipex vs something 1/5 the price. 

Crap. I just went to see what brand mine actually are, and they're Knipex! But my jewelers size ones definitely aren't.

FWIW, I made this vid a while back when there was a discussion of keels. That's 1/16 hard SS wire.

On 1/7/2021 at 10:08 PM, capesams said:

Thank you! Those are the ones I bought luckily

On 1/8/2021 at 6:41 PM, EricW said:

Yes definitely worth it.  Even better are the cantilever cutters that I use to cut the tag end off.

Yes, those are amazing, with a unique system, totally unlike the usual bolt cutter design.  I've never seen it in a larger tool, I'd love an 18" bolt cutter like that!