The Graveyard Shift

South Shore Fly Fishing Club (Massachusetts)

Rate this topic

98 posts in this topic

Next club meeting is Wednesday August 21 at 8pm.  At the Weir River Estuary Center in Hull, MA.  We have a guest speaker for this one who is a must see:

Joe Cordeiro has in the past 15 years focusing on teaching fly fishing and presenting at shows and marketing saltwater flies. Joe will be presenting to the club on August 21st his tips on estuary fishing. He will also be demonstrating tying the patterns that work in the estuaries. 

Joe has been fishing his entire life growing up near Cape Cod. Fly-fishing has been his main focus for many years. His salt-water fly patterns have been tested in waters for their imitation to the bait they mimic. Fly Tying is not just a hobby for this man it is a passion. Joe has been tying flies for over 30 years. Many of his patterns are lifelike imitations. The materials used are natural and add to the authenticity of the product. Joe’s style and tying technique have caught the attention and admiration of many seasoned fly tiers and his passion for the art is evident.

If you can make this meeting it will be a great one.  To help cover the cost we are charging $10 per person.  Currently the club is free my cofounder and I pay all expenses out of pocket but for this presentation we are trying to break even if we can.

Club update: We currently have over 100 members.  This will be our 7th meeting attendance has averaged around 20 people.  Each meeting has been half repeat attendees and half new attendees.  Club has got one person to catch the fly fishing bug and brought three long time fly fishermen from sweetwater to the salt.  Happy with progress so far.

I just came across this thread.   I’ll try to attend the 21st meeting.  May my done along as he is enjoys freshwater fly fishing

18 hours ago, JBA said:

I just came across this thread.   I’ll try to attend the 21st meeting.  May my done along as he is enjoys freshwater fly fishing

Bring them along.  More the merrier!

Nice! If l wern't so far out for me, I'd likely join and give you a hand..

Back in the early 90's when I got started, I joined a like minded club known as the "Rhody Fly Rodders". ( You can figure out where RFR is located :-) The guys there were great and the experience they held was immeasurable.  There was no better way to learn the ropes ( and a few choice spots!) . I likely owe my lifetime addiction to SW flyfishing to those who patiently and selflessly mentored me there.  Some became lifelong friends.

In fact a few years in, I gave back by becoming presedent for  5 or so years.  

Bottom Line:  It's allot of work if you want to do it right. There are news letters, meeting planning, fishing meeting planning, entertainment arrangements........... Getting reliable help is key.  You'll get members that want a feast ( of services) set on the table and a handful that are willing to help set that table.  In the end,  it's all worthwhile though!

p.s. Take Capt Castafly's advice ( in earlier post)  and talk to other Clubs. They can save you ALLOT of  chaseing your tail.

Tight lines! 

On 8/9/2019 at 9:52 AM, WeeHooker said:

Nice! If l wern't so far out for me, I'd likely join and give you a hand..

Back in the early 90's when I got started, I joined a like minded club known as the "Rhody Fly Rodders". ( You can figure out where RFR is located :-) The guys there were great and the experience they held was immeasurable.  There was no better way to learn the ropes ( and a few choice spots!) . I likely owe my lifetime addiction to SW flyfishing to those who patiently and selflessly mentored me there.  Some became lifelong friends.

In fact a few years in, I gave back by becoming presedent for  5 or so years.  

Bottom Line:  It's allot of work if you want to do it right. There are news letters, meeting planning, fishing meeting planning, entertainment arrangements........... Getting reliable help is key.  You'll get members that want a feast ( of services) set on the table and a handful that are willing to help set that table.  In the end,  it's all worthwhile though!

p.s. Take Capt Castafly's advice ( in earlier post)  and talk to other Clubs. They can save you ALLOT of  chaseing your tail.

Tight lines! 

We have been talking to other clubs.  At some point we have go formal and set up a non-profit with legal structure, financial structure, and a board of governors.  That is a lot administrative work we are not ready to take on yet so avoid any financial liability we are not charging for the club and trying to run it through end of 2020 at a low cost.  We are slowly identifying who can be helpful too, but as you said its a very low percentage of those that actually join the group.  I am actually looking for presenters for the meetings in October, November, December and January.  Would love recommendations or if any SOL members want to present that would be great.  Any saltwater fly fishing or fly tying topic would be a great presentation option. 

6 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

We have been talking to other clubs.  At some point we have go formal and set up a non-profit with legal structure, financial structure, and a board of governors.  That is a lot administrative work we are not ready to take on yet so avoid any financial liability we are not charging for the club and trying to run it through end of 2020 at a low cost.  We are slowly identifying who can be helpful too, but as you said its a very low percentage of those that actually join the group.  I am actually looking for presenters for the meetings in October, November, December and January.  Would love recommendations or if any SOL members want to present that would be great.  Any saltwater fly fishing or fly tying topic would be a great presentation option. 

Been there -Done that.  Based  on my experience I will tell you that there is a danger in setting the precident where people expect to be entertained by a presenter/presentation every meeting. Once you go through the list of worthwhile local guru's , it gets more expensive and harder  to fill the slots with each month.   My advice is to only have a couple of  well spaced presentations each season, Combine that with an "ask the round table "session or two and some fly tying /swap nights and you'll get more people who are willing to participate vs wanting to be entertained .  Some on water fishing meetings ( lone or jointly with other clubs) are good to show how to fish particular spots in various seasons too. 

p.s. Be careful of judgeing your success based on attendance numbers only.  IMHO, a dozen truely interested  but regular members are better than 50 who will only show up to see the ghost of Lefty Kreh. :-)

16 hours ago, WeeHooker said:

Been there -Done that.  Based  on my experience I will tell you that there is a danger in setting the precident where people expect to be entertained by a presenter/presentation every meeting. Once you go through the list of worthwhile local guru's , it gets more expensive and harder  to fill the slots with each month.   My advice is to only have a couple of  well spaced presentations each season, Combine that with an "ask the round table "session or two and some fly tying /swap nights and you'll get more people who are willing to participate vs wanting to be entertained .  Some on water fishing meetings ( lone or jointly with other clubs) are good to show how to fish particular spots in various seasons too. 

p.s. Be careful of judgeing your success based on attendance numbers only.  IMHO, a dozen truely interested  but regular members are better than 50 who will only show up to see the ghost of Lefty Kreh. :-)

Good Advice thank you!