The Graveyard Shift

South Shore Fly Fishing Club (Massachusetts)

Rate this topic

98 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 2/6/2019 at 4:06 PM, The Graveyard Shift said:

@giggyfish thanks for the bump.  Looking forward to meeting everyone next week.  Hopefully we get decent weather so driving is not an issue, but in Mass its a crap shoot this time of year.

 

 

Hi Dan,

 

Assuming still on for Tuesday, 8pm ?        Of all the luck with the snow less winter to date,  it appears a snow storm forecast for Tuesday,  right now 5 to 8 inches.    Might put a damper on my attempt since I'm about an hour away..... fingers crossed it changes to rain  :)

 

HT

 

Edited by HillTop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Dan, congrats and also good luck. I envy you guys (more so as it's presently -11°C) and if I were in your area, I would have been one of the first to join. I'm a member of something similar up here with various activities, for instance a fly tying get together once a week during fall and winter but it is more an association than a close-knit club. And anyway, my main interest  now in fly fishing is fishing  and fly tying for stripers and, so far, no luck in finding somebody else up here sharing the same interest to the same extent. Well, one can dream,  maybe this will change when we start  catching  stripers... in Montréal!

 

So, I wish you well.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 mins ago, HillTop said:

 

Hi Dan,

 

Assuming still on for Tuesday, 8pm ?        Of all the luck with the snow less winter to date,  it appears a snow storm forecast for Tuesday,  right now 5 to 8 inches.    Might but a damper on my attempt since I'm about an hour away..... fingers crossed it changes to rain  :)

 

HT

 

HT

 

Yes 8pm start time on Wednesday.  Hoping the snow holds off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dan,

I just saw this thread and would have liked to join your first meeting and hope that it went well.  I would be pleased to join.  I have been fly fishing on the south shore for more than 15 years.  There used to be an Orvis shop in Hanover that got me started.  Used to hang out sometimes at Capt. Dave's shop.  Joe Cordeiro has a small place in Humarock inside of the Humarock Boathouse.

Anyway, please let me know when the next meeting is.

Thank you,

Greg

Marshfield

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GJS said:

Hi Dan,

I just saw this thread and would have liked to join your first meeting and hope that it went well.  I would be pleased to join.  I have been fly fishing on the south shore for more than 15 years.  There used to be an Orvis shop in Hanover that got me started.  Used to hang out sometimes at Capt. Dave's shop.  Joe Cordeiro has a small place in Humarock inside of the Humarock Boathouse.

Anyway, please let me know when the next meeting is.

Thank you,

Greg

Marshfield

 

Greg

 

Will send you a PM with details.  Next meeting is 3/20/19.

 

Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did the meeting go. I was all set to go and then I looked at the clock and it was 8 o'clock . Dam I missed it.    Also whats the date for the upcoming meeting  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

47 mins ago, ccb said:

How did the meeting go. I was all set to go and then I looked at the clock and it was 8 o'clock . Dam I missed it.    Also whats the date for the upcoming meeting  

 

Bob, 

 

I made it.     Looks like great participation with 25 to 30 in attendance.    Joe Cordeiro was there to show some of his flat wings and Dan did a nice presentation on fishing Herring Runs.    Not a long presentation but I like it when they're not too long.     Hoping to be able to participate in some of the up coming outings (to be announced) this spring and summer.   Dan and his friend definitely have the energy and being a new club it is nice as some of the older well established clubs tend to have guys that group up and are less inclusive when it comes to new members.   Not anything that I think is done on purpose but just the way it works when guys/gals have been together for very long periods of time.   Sometimes being a new member feels like being an outsider.

 

I think meetings are being held on the second Wednesdays of the month but sure Dan will provide more accurate details.    Took me about an hour to get there from Mansfield.

 

HT

 

(gave Dan some SS rattles to try in his creations, figuring he'd be a great person to give them a workout)

 

 

 

Edited by HillTop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s great. Nothing like getting a little field testing.  I hope to get to the next meeting. Ccb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meetings are the third Wednesday of the month from 8-9:30pm at the Weir River Estuary Center in Hull, MA.  

 

 

Next meeting is 5/15/19.  The focus is on "Nuts and Bolts"  It will be station based with goal of helping people new to saltwater fly fishing.  Plenty of opportunity to socialize at this meeting. Also the meeting location is direct access to striped bass waters so can always try a few casts out.  Fish should be here based on migration reports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, squammer said:

Too bad this isn't in the North Shore...

A guy from Essex has made it down two out of three meetings.  But agree its a haul from the North Shore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

Meetings are the third Wednesday of the month from 8-9:30pm at the Weir River Estuary Center in Hull, MA.  

 

 

Next meeting is 5/15/19.  The focus is on "Nuts and Bolts"  It will be station based with goal of helping people new to saltwater fly fishing.  Plenty of opportunity to socialize at this meeting. Also the meeting location is direct access to striped bass waters so can always try a few casts out.  Fish should be here based on migration reports.

awesome, I will try to make it out for may!  Is there anything I can bring to help the new guys/gals?  I do have some gear i was looking to donate though not all of it would be the best for the salt but it's something.

Edited by secampb1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 mins ago, secampb1 said:

awesome, I will try to make it out for may!  Is there anything I can bring to help the new guys/gals?  I do have some gear i was looking to donate though not all of it would be the best for the salt but it's something.

Will shoot you a DM with details.  Lots of ways you could help at the May meeting and any help is appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.