The Graveyard Shift

South Shore Fly Fishing Club (Massachusetts)

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, bobtheflounder said:

Not in Mass but I have been building a vise that would cost around 70 or so to build and has the same capability as any higher end vise (it uses Renzetti jaws). It's 3d printable so if you need the file just pm me. It still has a lot of kinks at the present moment though. 

Lets chat offline this sounds interesting

23 hours ago, RedGreen said:

Wish I had a club like this near me. All I'm thinking reading this thread is I gotta move to the Northeast and get out of trout country Pennsylvania. 

I know what you mean, RG. I left PA for Cape Cod 5 years ago--I recommend it :th:

And good luck with the club, TGS--great idea!

Try contacting Mass Bass in Braintree.They have flyfishers mixed in with the members.The club has been around a long time and could help with pointers to establish yourselves.Also,don't overlook local B&T shops up there.It's a good idea and could go fast.Keep it fun 1st.

I belong to several fly fishing clubs. Have been the chief bottle washer, head honcho, all the way done to folding chairs and putting them away after a meeting. It is a worthy endeavor. Would like to see more younger blood enjoy such a wonderful pastime and recreational interest. Unfortunate most of the clubs lack the younger guys.

Like any club the monthly newsletter is the life blood of any club. Without the communication, you're dead in the water.

There are plenty of locations your club can meet for free, especially in the growth stages when you have small numbers. Many communities have libraries church halls, Elk's clubs,  VFW around. As long as you support the bar, they will give you a good deal, in some cases for free.

My last suggestion is one of importance. Get advice from other FF Clubs that have been established. They know all the pot holes in the road, been there, done that.... etc.  how to get started.....

I've already done fly fishing presentations at 3 fly fishing clubs this fall. Some of the most successful clubs are Rhody Fly Rodders, CT/RI Coastal Fly Fishers, and Cape Cod Fly Rodders, Yarmouth. These are all saltwater clubs. Many more all purpose fly clubs, like UFT/MA or UFT/RI, New England Fly Tyers. Perhaps others can add more.

Agree communications are absolutely key. I am a member of the U.K. Bass Sports Fishing Socitey which is well over 50 years old. In the early days we issued a magazine  written by members and printed on a rotodeck. It had a certain magic. A quarterly mag and over the years the number of pages grew and so do the print quality. Today is is commercial quality in terms of production but the content is way above commercial,fishing publications. It does have a letters page, to. Fancy that it takes three months for replies. But there is magic in that to.

We have had our own closed forum for at least ten years and this is a very civil,forum. We are about 500 strong.  Started off with about a dozen guys.

Google up U.K. Bass and you can get an idea of what we are and if anything we do is something that might interest you.

I think for any club to work long term it has to have good admin and for that it needs a structure as in running committe and an active Chairman. The guy you have to be most concerned with choosing  really well is your Treasurer. No need to spell out why.

Having a simple constitution really helps to.

Cost wise it is all but impossible to run a club without a formal subscription.

That way income is predicable. Adhoc contributions do not work and are not fair to all.

Our sub is about $30 a year and that covers four mags posted out to each  memeber. Our committe get their reasonable expensive  paid when they attend meetings.

We are a conservation club as well as a fishing club and battle with U.K. and EU governments.

If the work gets shared out it is a ton of fun. Good idea to change out the committee every three years. This helps stop complacency and staleness setting in.

Today I am glad that at last I am a rank and file member. I did many many years and it’s great to stop and let younger and keener guys take over with new ideas and who have modern skills. 

These new guys guys talk about PB and measure their fish in centimetres not inches or pounds and ounces.

I am classed as a bobble hatted relic now but highly comfortable with that.

It becomes glaring obvious when your time is up.

Have a ton of fun because that is what it can be. 

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

13 hours ago, theshadow said:

Try contacting Mass Bass in Braintree.They have flyfishers mixed in with the members.The club has been around a long time and could help with pointers to establish yourselves.Also,don't overlook local B&T shops up there.It's a good idea and could go fast.Keep it fun 1st.

I go to these meetings periodically. Great bunch of guys. Almost exclusively surf and boat guys though. The presentations that they have at every meeting are fantastic. They get great speakers to show up and put on a good show. 

13 hours ago, theshadow said:

I am a member of Mass Striped Bass Association and I have attended a few meetings.  They are a good group overall and I also surfcast so have found a ton of information at those meetings.  That is a good idea to talk to them so I will make it a point of trying to get to the January meeting.

At this point I have developed some strategic relationships that will be leveraged.  

1. Weir River Watershed Alliance has an estuary center building which is on main road to Nantasket and on fishable stretches of river.  So I have coordinated to use the estuary center for monthly meetings at a very low cost, which for 2019 I am paying the bill.  As club gets more established may charge a fee to cover costs, but for now goal is just get something going and generate interest.  Long term we are hoping to be able to provide some fishermen reports on activity seen with striped bass, river herring movement, and smelt movement as the alliance is looking to work on projects that will help restore the herring run and smelt runs to what they used to be.  Also maybe get club members to participate in cleanup projects or stream/estuary enhancement projects that the Watershed Alliance is developing.

2. Trustees of Reservations have provided me with a way to get sanctioned group trip access to World's End for night striper fishing trips.  That area will be base of operations for the club because its large enough that through walking it won't get too crowded and I don't really want to put undue pressure on some of the smaller public access areas that locals like myself have been fishing for years.  Plus OTW spot burns Worlds End and Webb State Park incessantly in their weekly reports so its not like those two spots are not already very well know locations.  I prefer Worlds End for club due to its proximity to the estuary center so fishing at night after a meeting is easy to set up.

3. Straits Pond Watershed Association is another possible partner.  I am a member and I have been getting move involved this past year.  There is an overall project they are working on to create good public use areas that could also be interesting spots for fishing trips once they are set up so I am trying to help with those endeavors.  Also lot of opportunity for club members to help with cleanup projects and help them gather data on what is going on in the pond.  

4. There is a local fly shop "Nantasket Fly Box" and I am in communication with the owner and he is excited to help the club out.  He is a great guy and already is helping through his business get more people into the sport and fishing for striped bass.  

I don't have a relationship other than being a customer but will be reaching out to Bears Den and another great local tier Mud Dog Flies about if they are ever interested in partnership for one or two meetings in a calendar year.  Personally I will be providing a lot of the initial support out of pocket, but once things get moving I am sure club members will start chipping in for things.  From a legal perspective its a bit easier to start if its all through one person it makes ownership of costs and how things get paid simpler, but I don't see it staying that way.

13 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

I belong to several fly fishing clubs. Have been the chief bottle washer, head honcho, all the way done to folding chairs and putting them away after a meeting. It is a worthy endeavor. Would like to see more younger blood enjoy such a wonderful pastime and recreational interest. Unfortunate most of the clubs lack the younger guys.

Like any club the monthly newsletter is the life blood of any club. Without the communication, you're dead in the water.

There are plenty of locations your club can meet for free, especially in the growth stages when you have small numbers. Many communities have libraries church halls, Elk's clubs,  VFW around. As long as you support the bar, they will give you a good deal, in some cases for free.

My last suggestion is one of importance. Get advice from other FF Clubs that have been established. They know all the pot holes in the road, been there, done that.... etc.  how to get started.....

I've already done fly fishing presentations at 3 fly fishing clubs this fall. Some of the most successful clubs are Rhody Fly Rodders, CT/RI Coastal Fly Fishers, and Cape Cod Fly Rodders, Yarmouth. These are all saltwater clubs. Many more all purpose fly clubs, like UFT/MA or UFT/RI, New England Fly Tyers. Perhaps others can add more.

Starting with a very simple contact list and email notifications.  Definitely agree getting to a newsletter level is ideal, but I am still deciding on how I want to approach that.  I may decided to use a social media platform instead of a creating newsletter file and sending out via email.  Ultimately communication is very critical.

I had thought about looking at clubs for advice.  I got my start with a fly fishing club at my military college.  Thanks for the suggestions I think I will reach out to Rhody Fly Roders and Cape Cod Fly Rodders.  After checking out what I could find on line they both seem to have similar saltwater mission and a lot of tenure so I am sure they have a lot of great advice.

Never seen one of your presentations.  Would love to at some point.  Maybe we can get that figured out towards the end of next year.  

32 mins ago, Topwatercowboy said:

I go to these meetings periodically. Great bunch of guys. Almost exclusively surf and boat guys though. The presentations that they have at every meeting are fantastic. They get great speakers to show up and put on a good show. 

Agreed its an awesome group.  As someone who also surfcasts I really enjoy the meetings when I can make them.  That is why I started thinking a separate fly specific club is needed.  There is fly club on the Cape and one on the North Shore, but nothing between Boston and Yarmouth.  I met a lot of nice guys in parking lots this year who were trying to get into fly fishing the salt and looking for a direction.  They live in Boston or the South Shore and since I am overworked and have young kids setting something up near me if I am going to run it is critical to making it work with family and work time requirements that must come first in my life.  Hope is that the club helps bring in 4 people to fly fishing who have never done it before and helps 4 fly fishers convert from fresh to saltwater a year.  If I can get 8 guys/gals fly fishing for stripers at end of 2019 who were not doing it in 2018 that would make me very happy.  

Goal is get something going and at the end of 2019 see how we end with members and overall group interests.  Then think about a more formal structure and direction going forward for 2020.  I know myself well enough to know that I can get laser focused on certain things and a lot of guys are looking for less structured and more relaxed way of fishing and life in general.  That is in part why I have a friend helping me get this started as he balances my personality out well.  I have served on other non-profit boards and committees do in the end help a club stay more true to its members interests.  

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:59 AM, The Graveyard Shift said:

Agreed its an awesome group.  As someone who also surfcasts I really enjoy the meetings when I can make them.  That is why I started thinking a separate fly specific club is needed.  There is fly club on the Cape and one on the North Shore, but nothing between Boston and Yarmouth.  I met a lot of nice guys in parking lots this year who were trying to get into fly fishing the salt and looking for a direction.  They live in Boston or the South Shore and since I am overworked and have young kids setting something up near me if I am going to run it is critical to making it work with family and work time requirements that must come first in my life.  Hope is that the club helps bring in 4 people to fly fishing who have never done it before and helps 4 fly fishers convert from fresh to saltwater a year.  If I can get 8 guys/gals fly fishing for stripers at end of 2019 who were not doing it in 2018 that would make me very happy.  

Goal is get something going and at the end of 2019 see how we end with members and overall group interests.  Then think about a more formal structure and direction going forward for 2020.  I know myself well enough to know that I can get laser focused on certain things and a lot of guys are looking for less structured and more relaxed way of fishing and life in general.  That is in part why I have a friend helping me get this started as he balances my personality out well.  I have served on other non-profit boards and committees do in the end help a club stay more true to its members interests.  

PM sent.