The Graveyard Shift

South Shore Fly Fishing Club (Massachusetts)

Rate this topic

98 posts in this topic

A friend and I are starting a club next year.  Goal was help more guys get into fly fishing for stripers.  Its our way to hopefully give back since we need new blood becoming fly fishers in general.  Still working out details but there will be no cost to join.  I have secured a location for monthly meetings and working through legal night access to a large private property that is closed to public at night for club fishing trips during striper season.

Meetings will be in Hull, MA.  Goal is have first one in February.  Marc and I are funding the meeting location costs and getting tables and chairs maybe a few vises so we can have some fly tying available.  If people live in area and might be interested in coming let me know.  Its going to be very low key for a while as both Marc and I have young families and limited resources.  But it should be nice people and opportunites to learn how to fly cast better, tie flies, and about striper fishing in general.  We hope some experienced guys join too we dont have all the answers hoping to create a nice club so people have fun and learn from each other

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

Wonderful contribution to the fly fishing community.

Your generosity as to covering all the costs would not be expected by most guys.

Most of us value something more if we have had to contribute or pay in some way. The opposite is true when we get stuff for free.

It is a club and everything rightly should be shared including  costs.

Dam . Hard  to put this over in the right way it is your gig not mine.

Grass root club is fantastic as there is a need for them. Pretty soon it grows beyond grass roots but I am betting  you would not forget the reasons you wanted to do this and would retain that element of the club which is to help and facilitate for others.

Hope you get interest from Guys and Gals at all stages in their journey.

Brilliant thing to,do.

Mikey

2 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

A friend and I are starting a club next year.  Goal was help more guys get into fly fishing for stripers.  Its our way to hopefully give back since we need new blood becoming fly fishers in general.  Still working out details but there will be no cost to join.  I have secured a location for monthly meetings and working through legal night access to a large private property that is closed to public at night for club fishing trips during striper season.

Meetings will be in Hull, MA.  Goal is have first one in February.  Marc and I are funding the meeting location costs and getting tables and chairs maybe a few vises so we can have some fly tying available.  If people live in area and might be interested in coming let me know.  Its going to be very low key for a while as both Marc and I have young families and limited resources.  But it should be nice people and opportunites to learn how to fly cast better, tie flies, and about striper fishing in general.  We hope some experienced guys join too we dont have all the answers hoping to create a nice club so people have fun and learn from each other

I’m in with my buddy. 

Might I suggest reaching out to Capt Dave Bitters down in Duxbury. He used to have fly tying nights down at his old shop, before he shut his doors. From what I remember, the turnout was pretty good.

18 mins ago, JTR said:

Might I suggest reaching out to Capt Dave Bitters down in Duxbury. He used to have fly tying nights down at his old shop, before he shut his doors. From what I remember, the turnout was pretty good.

And, I would like to add, Capt. Dave Bitters sent me his Cape Cod sand eel pattern recipe plus one of his hand tied Cape sand eel flies, gratis, plus a nice note. Haven't had the pleasure of meeting him on the Cape but definitely appreciated his enthusiastic response to query made to him by me regarding his sand eel pattern. I hope he'll reopen his fly tying nights for the flyfishers in the area because he tried so hard to give to the fly fishing/fly tying community. 

This sounds great. I live in Hull so that’s a bonus. Total fly fishing noob here so I have a lot to learn but have been fishing since I was a kid. I actually just bought my dad a fly tying kit for Christmas and I know he would love to go too. Keep me posted and I have no problem bringing snacks and refreshments for everyone since you guys fronted the spot and such. Thanks. 

Not in Mass but I have been building a vise that would cost around 70 or so to build and has the same capability as any higher end vise (it uses Renzetti jaws). It's 3d printable so if you need the file just pm me. It still has a lot of kinks at the present moment though. 

Edited by bobtheflounder