Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

A new, 7-seat Jeep

15 posts in this topic

Yesterday's NYT had an article on this. FCA is retooling a former engine factory in Detroit to build it. Seven seats. No information on whether it will be a unibody mall crawler or intended for significant off road use.

I don't know if a model will be at the NY or Detroit shows this winter, but if you go, please do look for it and report back if you find it. Seven seats probably means three rows. I'd rather two, with generous leg room in the second seat, BUT if there are three AND the rear two do fold flat, then I could probably snooze peacefully while waiting for a tide.  

Brian there are a lot of new rides coming online in 2019 . I have just started window shopping to replace my beloved Pathfinder 1999.5 , almost hit 275k miles. Starting to show its age and I have discovered that Nissan has obsoleted many parts. I have full size covered with my Honda Pilot so looking for a smaller 5 seater . Honda  is releasing the Passport name plate again and in a nod towards some increased off-road worthiness  they have actually increased the ground clearance about an inch over the Pilot. 

Chevy is releasing new Blazer which I only saw for first time and don't know details , built as a crossover but they may have an off-road version as I have seen some concepts outfitted that way. 

Lastly for a sleeper size for you , how about a built in Georgia Kia Telluride , says seats 8 or sleeps two! They are touting it's off-roadness.

IMG_0311.JPG

IMG_0313.JPG

IMG_0309.JPG

IMG_0310.JPG

Edited by connman

6 hours ago, connman said:

Brian there are a lot of new rides coming online in 2019 . I have just started window shopping to replace my beloved Pathfinder 1999.5 , almost hit 275k miles. Starting to show its age and I have discovered that Nissan has obsoleted many parts. I have full size covered with my Honda Pilot so looking for a smaller 5 seater . Honda  is releasing the Passport name plate again and in a nod towards some increased off-road worthiness  they have actually increased the ground clearance about an inch over the Pilot. 

Chevy is releasing new Blazer which I only saw for first time and don't know details , built as a crossover but they may have an off-road version as I have seen some concepts outfitted that way. 

Lastly for a sleeper size for you , how about a built in Georgia Kia Telluride , says seats 8 or sleeps two! They are touting it's off-roadness.

IMG_0311.JPG

IMG_0313.JPG

IMG_0309.JPG

IMG_0310.JPG

That kia looks like they chopped the rear third off a tahoe...or at least one of the renditions looked that way...... Looks kinda like a suzuki vehicross and a taho had a kid.

Have you seen that new VW suv.....Looks to be the best square footage for the $$

reminds me of the Trailblazer in looks.  Not seein many on the road but the pair I saw looked good.

Edited by scoobydoo

Scoob better side view , don't think they chopped anything ,this thing is big ,kind of reminds me of an Infinity QX80, the off-road ones are concept models/car show versions. 

Which VW ? Atlas

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0316.JPG

Connman, thank you.

Jeep has long been a synonym for bad quality control, and the first year's run of any new vehicle is always a risky business.  That said, I will follow this one with interest.

It won't be until 2020 or so, but Rivian is the first all electric option I've ever considered as even a possibility of owning.

Specs are off the chart; 3 second 0-60MPH launches, nearly 400 mile range in Econ Mode, 14" inches ground clearance, 36" water fording, 11,000.lbs towing capacity. Projected price $69K ($61K after Fed credits).

Pickup and SUV

It's heavy and I don't know how much I trust a company without a support network in place (parts, mechanic, dealership) but it's a very interesting platform. Since the P/U uses quad-motors near the wheels, the engine bay is now cargo area. There is also a space below the bed, and between the bed and the cab that can be used for storage. Trippy-

A little review of the platform with pictures

Rivian-R1T-4.jpg

20 hours ago, BrianBM said:

The website makes no reference to any internal-combustion engine, so I infer it's a battery-only vehicle. They're probably planning to use Tesla charging stations.

It is battery only- the battery is positioned low with wheels and motors at the 4 corners, similar to a skateboard.  

One thing that I can't determine is whether the electric motors are within the wheel hubs, the ideal position, as opposed to connected to the wheels by a drive shaft. 

The power density of lithium ion batteries is improving rapidly.  Assuming that the company continues to exist, and actually starts selling vehicles (a car would be a good place to start, I think, not an off-road vehicle or P/U) I could easily see an owner taking his Year One sedan back to the dealer in Year Five or Six for a new battery set that would increase his power capacity by 50%.

Electric motors develop maximum torque almost as soon as you feed them current. That makes them ideal for off-road use; in principle, they are the ideal solution to sand, mud, etc.  The Army showed a test vehicle years ago that had an electric motor in each of its' eight wheels.  The thing could heave itself out of deep mud with a speed that was astonishing, no water buffalo could match it. This was before the appearance of the Li-Ion battery, so the interior space of the vehicle was entirely filled with batteries. A heck of an interesting engineering demo, though. 

Edited by BrianBM