Gilbey

Bench Magnifier Lights

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Okay, so my eyes are not as sharp as they once were. 

True story, I shared a one room cabin with a buddy out in Montana one Summer in my early 20's. A single 60 watt bulb lit the place. I would spend nights tying trout flies by the dozens with a headlamp at a tiny table in the corner. Fun times! Strong eyes. Now, not so much. :o 

But now I am looking for a large, mountable magnifier and light for my tying bench. There are lots of models out there with prices all over the map. Does anyone have a recommendation for a model they use and like? 

TIA,

Alan 

Well I don’t have the problem of my vision going just yet, but I will say that I tie under an OTT light and I thoroughly enjoy it. I’m pretty sure they make one with a magnifying glass on it, and you can usually search out a coupon to get an OTT at a good cost from places like Michaels, JoAnn Fabric, etc. 

I hear ya! This is what I use $12 on Amazon really like it. It has 3 different levels of magnification. Looks a little cheezy but I've been using it for over a year and its held up well.

BF 

61sQGdovTGL._SL1200_.jpg

Edited by Bigfish25

Years ago, I got this Studio magnifying light from Michael's (hobby store) offered now in several sites at around $15 with a half price coupon code here:

https://www.michaels.com/default/10120398.html#start=6

This magnifying light has been a really really great addition to my fly tying bench. I use it for many other things which require magnification. If you can get it with the 50% off code, it is my best recommendation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you can't get it through my link, just go to Michael's craft store and work your way from there. A really best buy!

20 hours ago, ccb said:

I just have 5x eyeglasses. eBay 

I do the same thing. Just good lighting and 3x readers. I hhaven’t been tying anything smaller than 8 bonefish flies though. 5x might be better for 22 sulfurs. 

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:12 PM, ccb said:

I just have 5x eyeglasses. eBay 

I'd go with the different magnification eyeglasses. Find the magnification that best suits your eye requirement level. I find tying with a magnifying glass problematic. It very difficult to get use to the depth of field knowing where your hands and tying tools are in relationship to the vise and hook. I find magnify glass is best use for inspection and photography. Sometimes you can substitute a magnifying glass instead of buying a close up lens, much cheaper and a quick fix.

Edited by Capt.Castafly

On 12/8/2018 at 10:19 AM, Gilbey said:

Okay, so my eyes are not as sharp as they once were. 

True story, I shared a one room cabin with a buddy out in Montana one Summer in my early 20's. A single 60 watt bulb lit the place. I would spend nights tying trout flies by the dozens with a headlamp at a tiny table in the corner. Fun times! Strong eyes. Now, not so much. :o 

But now I am looking for a large, mountable magnifier and light for my tying bench. There are lots of models out there with prices all over the map. Does anyone have a recommendation for a model they use and like? 

TIA,

Alan 

main think

check the focus lenght,from your eyes to the object.

i picket  magnafying glasys with light  10x to 25 time 4 defrent lenses the focus is 2.5" from object,your eye is 2.5" from object,good for inspection not for working on fly.i would look for focus from 6" to 10".

Just replaced my 20+ year old Ott light with a new one after the ballast went out.

Bought the same c-clamp version again from Joann’s for something like $72.00 shipped.

If I get another 20 years out of this one it will be money well spent again.

SF