Drywall anchors - Is shear capacity additive?

Rate this topic

flyangler

Is the rated capacity for a given drywall anchor additive?

For example, if a snap anchor or toggle is rated for 80 pounds of shear in drywall, are two holding up a single shelf bracket capable of holding 160 pounds? Or at least something higher than 80?

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

Kaz is a cocobird. 

The village, which had stood for maybe 1,000 years, didn't know we were coming that day. If they had, they would have run. boB was at the eye of our rage. And through him, our Captain Ahab. He would set things right again. That day, we loved him.

Gonna use these rather than classic wing types. 

image.jpg.00671640c206ed082f553bd0c1960ebe.jpg

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

49 mins ago, redfishkiller said:

use the metal screw in anchors

I've hung some heavy **** on them

092097295032.jpg

^^Knows sheet...no supersize holes for a plastic anchor and you can reuse them.

Answer to the OP question is yes...you're dividing the weight equally among the anchors so it will absolutely be cumulative (big words...meh).

The wheels on my reels go round and round...round and round...round and round...

53 mins ago, redfishkiller said:

use the metal screw in anchors

I've hung some heavy **** on them

092097295032.jpg

Those are a no go for this application. It’s going to be a triangular shelf bracket that  has a hook for attaching a hanging bar underneath it. On that hanging bar is going my wife’s tablecloths which are a lot heavier than you would think. So the weight center of gravity across the bar is 10 inches off-the-wall and cantilevered. Thus,  one of those screw in anchors will be pulled right out. That is not a theory, that’s personal experience. 

- Victor Davis Hanson 

15 mins ago, Terry Mac said:

Kaz is a cocobird. 

Terry’s Mae  if you and I ever meet I’m going to headbutt you so hard your dead relatives are going to say ouch 

- Victor Davis Hanson 

19 mins ago, i07nyc said:

For that much weight is go with mushroom anchors. They spread out behind the wall and distribute the weight. Only thing they never come out.

092097100060lg.jpg

The spreading toggle is the right idea, as long as it has the right capacity. The snap toggles I have or bulkier than most of the variety you’re showing  spreading toggle is the right idea, as long as it has the right capacity. The snap toggles I have our bulkier than most of the variety your showing 

- Victor Davis Hanson