Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
quan808

Power wrapper for metallic thread?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

For the folks that use a power wrapper for metallic thread how do you keep the thread from twisting and unraveling out of control.

Even though I have a power wrapper, I find myself just hand wrapping most of the time. When using metallic thread it’s a PIA.

It’s very important to have proper tension, particularly when using metallic thread.  I always sandwich Teflon washers on both sides of the spool to allow smooth turning.

I use a ton of metallic thread and it often has a mind of its own.  The most common issue I seem to have is the thread unwinding itself when NOT under tension. (Renzetti Carriage).  What carriage are you using?  If your carriage utilizes a bobbin style tension device than your much better off wrapping by had hand.  As far as brands go, I use prowrap, fish hawk, pacbay, and some generic embroidery stuff I picked up on the interwebs.  All have pros and cons when working and retaining color.     

I learned of a remedy for those prowrap metal threads.   To ease the twisting and unraveling in those thread, you take some naphtha or ronsonol fuel, carefully soak the thread in naphtha, mesasage a little to make sure naphtha is fully penetrated in each of the threads. wait about a minute............................Then take a lighter to light it up. Now sit back and watch that blaze goes up while zipping your favorite beverage. The flame will take all of your  anger and mental frustration with it.   It's better to do it outside in the year so you don't burn your house down.  

17 hours ago, Al Goldberg said:

It’s very important to have proper tension, particularly when using metallic thread.  I always sandwich Teflon washers on both sides of the spool to allow smooth turning.

X2    two much?  

9 hours ago, hobobob said:

I learned of a remedy for those prowrap metal threads.   To ease the twisting and unraveling in those thread, you take some naphtha or ronsonol fuel, carefully soak the thread in naphtha, mesasage a little to make sure naphtha is fully penetrated in each of the threads. wait about a minute............................Then take a lighter to light it up. Now sit back and watch that blaze goes up while zipping your favorite beverage. The flame will take all of your  anger and mental frustration with it.   It's better to do it outside in the year so you don't burn your house down.  

That's why i asked what brand. I've used sulky, fuji, I still have a decent stash of some old gudebrod. I never had any issues with them. 

ProCrap....

LOL Prowrap is what I use. Unfortunately, I have a lifetime supply! OK hand wrap and will start switching to Fuji. Thanks for all of the input, I thought it was something I was doing wrong.

I agree with Hobo.  Stay away from ProWrap metallics, ditto for their regular thread.  I have been using Madiera metallics for years.  However, they need two coats of color sealant since they have a teflon coating.

Lol. The first time I used that stuff,  I honestly thought mudhole sent me a defective spool.  Keeps twisting, unraveling, etc. I though it was just me with my newbie hands and that's how metalic thread should be. Until I went to one of B40's nerb gathering and hear him and many others are saying the same thing. It was an eye opening for sure. I stayed away from anything that started with pro. Let the pros use that stuff.