Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Midwest Surf Fan

I'm here to steal your secrets!

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Greetings all! Nice forum you have here.

What the heck is a guy from Illinois doing on a surf fishing site?

Well, we do have a version of surf fishing here. And I thought I'd check with some real experts to get further ideas and techniques that I can adapt to my situation.

Our "surf fishing" consists of tossing spoons (you guys call them tins) off the beach at Lake Michigan for salmon and trout. This is the best time of year, and I've been doing pretty well so far this year. Most of the fish that we catch are in the 10 to 20 pound range. Distance casting can be important at times, so I've started to adopt some of your techniques.

I'm looking forward to learning alot from you folks. biggrin.gif

Okay I got my joke out of the way. cwm12.gif

Welcome and nice to hear that someone besides a leftcoaster throws metal from shore to catch salmon.

First off a couple of questions, your equipment, size of lures that the fish will hit? Distance? Type of water?

The reason I ask is unless I am standing next to you I can not really give you a proper answer. Sure I can tell you what I do here but since my trip back to the Cape last year I have found what is "normal" here is not "normal there. Vice a versa.

So tell us a little more, show some pictures of where your fishing and equipment. ( I promise I have NO INTENTIONS of coming to Illinois. biggrin.gif

I don't really have any specific questions at this point, mostly I'm reading and learning.

Most of the guys around here use spinning gear. I use a 7' Ugly Stick with a Shakespear Medalist spinning reel. This year I started experimenting a little and spooled up with PowerPro 20, and put a flourocarbon leader on the end. I must say I'm impressed with the results so far.

Water we fish is a beach where a creek dumps into the lake. The fish will move up the creek to spawn. Most of the fish that have moved into the creek are starting to turn already, and have little interest in eating. Those that are still out on the staging area are still actively feeding, so that's what we target.

The water is about 4 to 6' deep most of the area. At first light the fish will frequently be right up to shore and you could reach them with a Zebco 202 if you wanted. As the day progresses, they start moving out and running parallel to the shore.

The spoons we throw are mostly Little Cleos and KO Wobblers in 3/4 oz. size.

I'm thinking that the situations are similar enough, that I've decided I'm gonna get myself a surf outfit and give that a try.

I'll try to post a few pics later.

Thanks for the welcome.

You do what you can with what you have. Its as close as we have to an ocean. Fresh water, no tides to time, but on the bright side you don't have to worry about stepping on a ray. biggrin.gif

....or sharks!!!!

Here's a tidbit for you Daiwa Whiskers Tournament SS II. That is your best reel for that type sitaution. They are just under a $100.00 but I don't think you will find a reel that will out cast it in the size you need. Now for a rod that will load up and really fire a 3/4 oz little cleo!!??!! Something in the 8 1/2' to 9' range seems appropriate to me but there are some nice 7 1/2' rods out there that will give you a good cast and be a little easier to use for repeated casting. Maybe we can hear from an Albie chaser that has a hot set up for 3/4 oz metal. Cabela's is one source for the above reel. AL

Krocodile spoons are NICE!

Was my first thought when I first read the post, but at 3/4 oz a downsized rod would be a better fit than a surf stick.

Here on the westcoast surf when the salmon move in close enough for us to reach from the rocks we normally use a 10 1/2 foot big stick with 2 3/4 oz ounce Kroc's. In the past I'd use my 704 with 25 lbs stren.

Its been quite a few years since they have come close to shore so in my judgement my updated gear would be my 10 foot graphite, a big Nautil and 30 power pro still tossing that 2 3/4 ounce Kroc or a shorter 2 oz Kroc. With this gear I can peel off a huge cast.

Would that gear be too much for the area your throwing into?

My thought, it is and downgrading from there I would need to know; distance you want to cast, depth of water, size of bait or what you presume is the reason 3/4 cleo's work well. Once we get the idea as to how heavy and the over all dimensions of the lure can we move to setting up a rod, reel, line, and lure size to fit the best into your environs.

Another hint is bring your salmon questions into the Westcoast forum and ask the guys that regulary fish for salmon in the Sacramento Delta/river system.

I know they use specific lures/ and gear to accomplish this feat near the city of Antioch.

Besides spoons they also throw big vibrax spinners.

I am thinking that a 1 oz krocadile would be a good lure to try. They are longer and slimmer than the 3/4 oz little cleo but the will cast better. The fish move into deeper water because the sun bothers their eyes so a deep running lure will be necessary. The Kroc's should work better for deeper water than the Cleo's. It really depends on how the fish react to them but I believe they will hit the Kroc's better due to their ability to run deeper. AL

Welcome! Always glad to get some new perspective on things.

While I've lived on the east coast for 38 of my 41 years I lived in Lake Villa IL for 3 years, 97 thru 99. That's about 30 mi north of chicago and 3 miles south of WI. Used to throw cleos from the jettys around Kenosha. Racine Harbor maybe? The New River :confused confused.gif

I caught huge browns 12-15 lbs on silver/blue 3/4 oz cleos. Only caught small salmon for some reason from that spot. I would watch 500 fish jump or swim by the mouth of the river and not get a hit redface.gif but when I went to MI and fished the Pierre Marquette river we caught MONSTER salmon on flies.

Similarities to surf fishing on the East Coast and Lake MI are few. I would agree that tackle, line tips and casting advice are invaluable. Not much to be used out there with the surf fishing tactics we use here though....

Wait a minute. cwm40.gif Except for maybe a drop teaser tied off of your leader swivel. A nice big salmon fly fluttering in front of that spoon may be a good tip to try biggrin.gif Let me know how that works,

Good Luck and Welcome again