NewEngBoy011

Class of 2011

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

The report came out,

the 2011 class that was supposed to “save the striped bass” is gone, Maryland slaughtered them, we should of had millions of 28-32” fish....bye bye SB, shut her down 

Be careful when articles are from fissure and not a published “scientific” site or report. This article has a lot of opinions and snipets and to be honest while doing a good job of raising the issue, potential does harm by overestating the decline.

IMO the stocks have been and are in trouble based of reading and a lot of time on water I actually believe that the stocks are actually worse than what the scientific data will likely show.

Time for us all to continue to try to make whatever changes we can and we need to get more organized and create an a stronger voice.

Thresholds are also greatly exaggerated. Stocks are likely to show overfished in the official 2018 assessment but only slightly below the thresholds. Also said total abundance was near 1992 levels, also not accurate as chart is millions of pounds as opposed to metric tons.

Edited by nygnyrredsoxfan

I believe the stocks are in worse shape then the governing/ science agencies think. There are too many boots on the water saying the exact same things. There is a huge void of fish from 36” and up, and those are our biggest baby makers.

on a bright side, I caught more and larger schoolies this year so  it’s not all gloom. There is a chance to turn it around. My fear is that if regs aren’t changed before these fish are 28” they will be whiped out as soon as big enough. I also have little faith that these agencies will make a change or do anything till too late. It’s not like our current administration is a big pusher of conservation (not trying to turn this political).

Having analytic responsibility at work, I am always hesitant with numbers in articles, you can make numbers and stats do anything you want if people can’t see the algorithm or understand it.

On 12/8/2018 at 11:01 AM, Deep Hole said:

Let's bring keeper size up to 36".

Somewheres between 32 and 36 seems reasonable. And really folks: a 28" fish is a little ratty to be bringing home. Certainly nothing to be proud of--or show off. Honestly I'd be embarrassed walking back to the car with a 28" fish. 

In contrast, a 36 is a darn good fish. Hefty and meaty. A good fight, and plenty for a family's table. Above 36 and you start to get into the realm of waste, as there's so much meat some inevitably must be frozen to make proper use of the whole fish.

And frozen bass is of meh quality at best. ...Unless vacuum sealed... but really, how many average-Joe anglers are vacuum sealing their extra meat? More often than not, it goes into the freezer to get freezerburned and then chucked into the trash 6months later.

So for me, I'd be in favor of a slot for keeper bass, to minimize waste, with a purchased trophy ticket option. Say, 32-38 for the slot. A slot has done wonders for snook in Florida. Funny how the "smart" northeast coast cant keep up with Florida, whose forward thinking policies on fishing and conservation make the northeast look stupid and backwards in comparison 

Edited by rst3

5 hours ago, rst3 said:

And frozen bass is of meh quality at best. ...Unless vacuum sealed... but really, how many average-Joe anglers are vacuum sealing their extra meat? More often than not, it goes into the freezer to get freezerburned and then chucked into the trash 6months later.

A slot has done wonders for snook in Florida. Funny how the "smart" northeast coast cant keep up with Florida, whose forward thinking policies on fishing and conservation make the northeast look stupid and backwards in comparison 

1- Don't assume that everyone is just like you.

2- How many Florida snook migrate from Florida all the way to Canada?

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

1- Don't assume that everyone is just like you.

2- How many Florida snook migrate from Florida all the way to Canada?

1. Fair point.

2. Not sure I completely follow. Are you saying SB mgmt is a more difficult task because there are several states' mouths to feed, vs just 1 with snook in Florida?

Well maybe so.

But the ASMFC is tasked with the legal authority for multi-state oversight, and they haven't done a great job as of late. According to them, spawning stock biomass is still "in decline," despite Addendum IV.

Their charts show we're heading in the wrong direction, and their management has failed to deliver.

5c104fe23cf40_AtlStripedBass_2016Landings(1).jpg.7eb0c8dfbc8c6f7cffdae8a20ef734a8.jpgAtlStripedBass_2016SSB.jpg.d64866eacf4b17c5f1ffe1fa0b0ef80b.jpg