Anyone hunt pheasant?

Rate this topic

Im considering getting into pheasant hunting and was wondering how hard it was to learn? Without starting a gun debate, I do not want to even try to own a gun, so my option would be hunting them with a bow. Considering I never shot a bow before, how long do you think it would take to get good enough to hunt pheasants? I can practice maybe 1-2 hours a week, maybe more. How hard are they to find(assuming I get good enough with the bow to try)?

No dog, no gun, wild pheasant ? Never drawn a bow ?  Don't know how old you are but I'd say you have a better chance at finding a Social Security check in your mailbox. lol

Two things in life I love. Fishing, and looking at the wives pictures on the milk Carton

I do not do much pheasant hunting; but I deer hunt some pheasant stocked WMAs. I have spent hundreds probably thousands of hours in the woods. A decent chunk of that time on "pheasant grounds".  I have had maybe one quick opportunity to make a shot with the bow if I had one with me.

Most of the time I do not see them until they are flushed and in the air; when I see them at all. I would say do not get a compound bow if this is what you want to attempt. Go re curve or long bow and start practicing hard at fast moving targets reflex shooting no sights.

The odds will definitely be stacked against you but not impossible. If you want to be successful in your first couple years with the experience you have; I would equate it to catching a surf caught 50 in the fishing world. Good Luck!

The Best Day to go fishing is any day that ends in Y

As an avid pheasant and quail hunter I think you should try using a shotgun to begin with. Even though the majority of pheasant in MA are stocked birds, without a dog to point or flush them out you are at an extreme disadvantage. Also the WMA's are usually heavily hunted and using a bow  even with bird arrows ( I think they are called flu/flu's ) would be very dangerous. 

As a lifelong upland hunter I think what you're considering is pretty much impossible. These days, even with a well experienced dog, birds can be tough to find. Without a dog and with a bow, I dont see it happening. 

But as others have suggested, give turkey hunting a try. A lot of guys hunt them with a bow. Plus calling them requires a whole new level of skill.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Thanks for all the feedback, I did some reading before posting here and at least one some other random forums people claim to shoot them with a bow on the ground, but I know nothing about doing this and didnt realize they are mostly taken from the air. The reason I shy away from turkey is for some reason its considered "Big Game".

I live in Boston so even if I wanted to get a gun it would be super tough. Plus I have a two year old at home. I might try archery a couple times just for the heck of it, and if I do terribly and feel its not for me I guess I will just stick to fishing. 

How hard are wild rabbits to hit with a bow? The ones in the city at least sit for a few seconds when you see them before taking off, so if the ones in the woods are similar maybe that is more doable?

5 hours ago, yemista said:

Im considering getting into pheasant hunting and was wondering how hard it was to learn? Without starting a gun debate, I do not want to even try to own a gun, so my option would be hunting them with a bow. Considering I never shot a bow before, how long do you think it would take to get good enough to hunt pheasants? I can practice maybe 1-2 hours a week, maybe more. How hard are they to find(assuming I get good enough with the bow to try)?

You're just trolling us, right?

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

17 mins ago, yemista said:

How hard are wild rabbits to hit with a bow? The ones in the city at least sit for a few seconds when you see them before taking off, so if the ones in the woods are similar maybe that is more doable?

That depends on where your "rabbits in the city" are located.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Are bow-hunting lessons for rabbits offered in the Fens?

(I'd have asked about The Public Garden or the Commons, but *that* would have been patently facetious of me, don't you think?)

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

I live near a WMA. When they stock, it is normal to see them on the ground and arrowing one could be an easy shot, BUT there could be another hunter, or dog on the other side of the thicket and you could shoot them as well. 

Shotgun upland hunting is great. I like it more and more every year. 

2 mins ago, ged said:

I live near a WMA. When they stock, it is normal to see them on the ground and arrowing one could be an easy shot, BUT there could be another hunter, or dog on the other side of the thicket and you could shoot them as well. 

Shotgun upland hunting is great. I like it more and more every year. 

How is shooting a bow different than shooting a shot gun in this scenario?