chumfish

Who Burns Coal?

Rate this topic

82 posts in this topic

The ash can be disposed of in the environment (unless that has changed from years ago), but be aware that it defoliates. I have lots of wooded property, so I dug an ash pit and dumped them in there. I don't burn coal any longer. Just don't dispose of the ash anywhere near foliage you wish to maintain.

There was an article in are local fishwrap a couple of years ago. There's a company somewhere near King of Prussia that sells coal boilers and such. It made me think of my father: as a small boy in the 1930s, his job was to bring a bucket of coal inside from the stoop, where the delivery guy had left it. Most of those old houses in West Philly still have coal chutes that by now are long disused.

For disposal, call your local municipality. They may or may not take it, but if they can't, they'll tell you who can. They don't want coal ash getting dumped in woods.

7 mins ago, bospa357 said:

The ash can be disposed of in the environment (unless that has changed from years ago), but be aware that it defoliates. I have lots of wooded property, so I dug an ash pit and dumped them in there. I don't burn coal any longer. Just don't dispose of the ash anywhere near foliage you wish to maintain.

Good bye fern! 

I’m gonna be clearing an acre in the back and will have to backfill any outcroppings I can remove. Sounds like a plan.

Any ideas what to do with the stones I pull? 

12 mins ago, chumfish said:

And how do you dispose of the ash?

It’s something I didn’t really consider when I bought a stoker that’s getting installed next week.  :laugh:

4 mins ago, chumfish said:

Good bye fern! 

I’m gonna be clearing an acre in the back and will have to backfill any outcroppings I can remove. Sounds like a plan.

Any ideas what to do with the stones I pull? 

•  

Put them out in the street with your leaves.

1 min ago, MikeMc said:

We dump the ash in the woodline on the side of the house up at the cabin. Been doing it for years.

Does it kill the surrounding vegetation, or just what you dump it on.