tomkaz

Beach-fishing fat-tire bike project

Rate this topic

130 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, staktup said:

If you need more gear range, I would recommend sticking with a 1x drivetrain as you have, but go with a chainring between 28-30 and a rear cassette 11-40 or 42. That should get you through the softest sand w/o breaking the bank, maintaining decent chain line, esp. if you stick with 10spd. Lots of used 1x10 drivetrains available on the cheap since 1x11, 1x12, and now 1x13 are the rage. 

After I typed this, Microshift just released a 1x9 drivetrain that goes 11-42 (shifter, rear mech, and cassette) for $125 with a 4 yr warranty which is dope. Slightly cheaper or as cheap as Shimano SLX 10 spd, but 1 less gear and a lighter chain. 

Haven’t had time to swap out tire and go tubeless yet. Thinking I am going to swap out tires first using factory tubes for most direct comparison to factory. See how that rides and the go tubeless for better comps.

Had about 90 minutes on Sunday so took it out to explore local canals. Amazing amount of fishlife in these canals and ponds but more exotics than LMBs. Tilapia everywhere and others I can’t identify, need to try to catch those.

Anyway, following the suggestions of some, I angled back the rod tubes so that if I screw up going under low-hanging trees, the rod tips might be less likely to hang up.  Not perfect but better. 

D0D91799-6264-4146-9A33-D14F2272E191.jpeg.cb56984b80aa7e18a58f3dea97cb05c2.jpeg

BDFB053D-0D03-45FB-B7D0-423431D50137.jpeg.a7d54b600e24a097edd1498ca71c3c55.jpeg

1 hour ago, flylikabird said:

Back in the 50's Bobby Soxer's would've S'd your D just to sit in that crate for a ride.  Very nice!   

Um, uh, ok :p

I've been hanging around in that sewer called the Tavern all winter long and it's started to catch up with me.   Forgot I was in the main...my bad.   Really like the concept of the thread.  I'm interested in converting one of my bikes for a certain time frame in my fishing season.   Good stuff TK.

35 mins ago, flylikabird said:

I've been hanging around in that sewer called the Tavern all winter long and it's started to catch up with me.   Forgot I was in the main...my bad.   Really like the concept of the thread.  I'm interested in converting one of my bikes for a certain time frame in my fishing season.   Good stuff TK.

Well, I would expect something like that from @redfishkiller , even here. 

Tom, what’s on the end of the kickstand?  Just curious if it is just a spike that sinks into the sand. Looks awesome!

I hope you carry a fatty tube and a CO2 cartridge to make life easier. There are ton of great multi tool options out now as well. 

I bet you can make $$ selling beers and Italian ices when the fishing’s slow. You now have the range to find topless chicks. Is this the wrong forum for that?

26 mins ago, staktup said:

Tom, what’s on the end of the kickstand?  Just curious if it is just a spike that sinks into the sand. Looks awesome!

It is a skinny tip, which is inserted ijnto a hole in a tennis ball to be stable in the sand. 

I hope you carry a fatty tube and a CO2 cartridge to make life easier. There are ton of great multi tool options out now as well. 

Not so far. No thorns, no briars, few shells sharp enough to matter. I would get a high volume MTB hand pump but I plan to go tubeless so not needed. 

I bet you can make $$ selling beers and Italian ices when the fishing’s slow. You now have the range to find topless chicks. Is this the wrong forum for that?

This is south Florida so the odds on perky vs saggy topless chicks makes it a lush. 

Cool, thanks. One thing about tubeless and fat tires though, is that if you have trouble re-seating the tire bead to the rim, it will be very tough to use even a high volume hand pump to get enough pressure to seat the bead

in order to inflate it at all. So while I am running tubeless on my fatty, it was done ghetto style so if I flat, I’m gonna hafta

use a tube to ride home. The tire and rims

are both tubeless non-compatible. 

2 hours ago, staktup said:

Cool, thanks. One thing about tubeless and fat tires though, is that if you have trouble re-seating the tire bead to the rim, it will be very tough to use even a high volume hand pump to get enough pressure to seat the bead

in order to inflate it at all. So while I am running tubeless on my fatty, it was done ghetto style so if I flat, I’m gonna hafta

use a tube to ride home. The tire and rims

are both tubeless non-compatible. 

You are correct, but I will be riding so slowly on flat sand that I doubt the tires will ever burp, never mind lose enough air to foil the head and need reseating. Carrying one tube in the crate would kinda mitigate some of the weight savings of going tubeless. And if the worst happens, I always have the old Mark-1 legs to the walk the mile or so back to the parking lot.