Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JaseB

The Man Who Invented Christmas

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

#DoorGunner

Watched it with the kids last night.  Fantastic flick.  The story of how Charles Dickens' wrote "The Christmas Carol" and it's impact it made on how we celebrate Christmas.    I had to google up in it's impact to see if the movie was just blowing smoke.   It was all surprisingly true. 

Can't recommend it enough.

Y'know why so many traditions -- like A Christmas Carol -- are from the Victorian era?

It's because -- for real -- that was the time when technology changed the way people lived within the lifespan of individual people. Before that, there really wasn't much to be nostalgic about: your miserable life was the same as your ancestors' lives had been 500 years before. But by the 1800s, that wasn't the case, and that was when many of the Christmas traditions got locked in.

10 mins ago, JaseB said:

#DoorGunner

Watched it with the kids last night.  Fantastic flick.  The story of how Charles Dickens' wrote "The Christmas Carol" and it's impact it made on how we celebrate Christmas.    I had to google up in it's impact to see if the movie was just blowing smoke.   It was all surprisingly true. 

Can't recommend it enough.

Where can I find this... it may save me from actually having to watch a version of "A Christmas Carol" tonite, Which I am told is the plan for this evening. 

We our going to see a kid's performance -- live theater; we are, unlike you smelly humps, highly cultured -- of A Christmas Carol in two weeks. I can't wait. :th:

Just now, chessie_yaker said:

It’s all Luther’s fault. St Nicholas had something great going and the Protestants has to ruin it. 

Many, perhaps even most, of the traditions we associate with Christmas are actually Pagan in origin: the Christmas tree, the yule log, getting loaded and barking at the moon, wassailing and all that: these are all leftovers from Saturnalia, the Pagan festival of the winter solstice, which the Romans co-opted in order to get the heathens to embrace Christianity. Religious hucksterism at work!

In fact, though there's disagreement among scholars about when Jesus of Nazareth was actually born -- historically it's been thought it was the spring, because of the whole "shepherds watching over their flocks by night" deal, which only happened during the spring; but recent evidence has led some to point to a fall birth -- one thing that is pretty much certain is that it was not anytime in December. The religious hucksters made it December 25 because that's when Saturnalia happened. And the date has stuck ever since.

4 mins ago, Belmo said:

We our going to see a kid's performance -- live theater; we are, unlike you smelly humps, highly cultured -- of A Christmas Carol in two weeks. I can't wait. :th:

Please bring protest signs with witty Hitchens quotes.

Not me -- I dig Christmas. As a public holiday, it has pretty much ceased to have any religious meaning whatsoever: it's pretty much an entirely secular deal. I dig that, and I dig the fact that it's really a Pagan holiday.

very likely the origin of the original story of Santa Claus; a psychedelic mushroom called the amanita muscaria.

Santa Claus is bright red and white. The amanita muscaria is also bright red and white.
Santa Claus lives in the North Pole, and he has flying reindeer pulling his sleigh through the air.
Reindeer are native to Siberia, and the shamanic use of this mushroom in Siberia is well documented.

Now, I know Siberia isn’t the North Pole exactly, but it’s pretty close, and the earth’s magnetic pole is actually shifting away from North America and towards Siberia.

Also, the animal most connected with the amanita muscaria mushroom is the reindeer. It’s their favorite food, and although I’ve never talked to a reindeer, I’ve got to think eating that **** all day must get them high as ****.
Like, “flying” high.
Christmas trees are pine trees., Pine trees are the trees that the amanita muscaria grows under.

They have a mycorrhizal relationship with that plant and spruce trees.

Their shiny red and white caps blooming under the tree looks very much like the tradition of placing shiny wrapped boxes under there.
When people would pick the mushrooms they would place them on the leaves of the tree to dry them in the sun.
That would look an awful lot like when people decorate their trees with shiny ornaments.

People place red and white socks over the fireplace.
OK, first off, why red and white socks? Because again, that’s the color of the mushroom. And why do they hang it in front of the fireplace? Because that was another one of their techniques to dry the mushrooms out for storage.

Santa doesn’t come in through the front door, he hops down through the chimney, on the sneak tip, with a fat bag of goodies.

Well, when Shamanic rituals were forbidden by the rulers of the day, (which they ALWAYS eventually were, because rulers throughout history have realized over and over again that the use of psychedelic substances by their people only serves to make it more difficult to feed them bull****, and keep them scared and stupid) the rituals didn’t immediately stop, they continued in secret, like secretly sneaking into the house through the roof with a fat bag of ‘shrooms.
Santa lived in a magical place where he was surrounded by elves., Sounds like a tripper to me.

8 mins ago, RiverRaider said:

Where can I find this... it may save me from actually having to watch a version of "A Christmas Carol" tonite, Which I am told is the plan for this evening. 

It's on Netflix.   Released last year.   Check it out. 

6 mins ago, Belmo said:

Last Friday my daughter was in a Christmas play at school.  "The Nutcracker Prince"   she played Clara.  Tonight is the school's Christmas concert.    Get your annoying ass out of my thread.

12 mins ago, JaseB said:

It's on Netflix.   Released last year.   Check it out. 

Last Friday my daughter was in a Christmas play at school.  "The Nutcracker Prince"   she played Clara.  Tonight is the school's Christmas concert.    Get your annoying ass out of my thread.

Thank you from the very bottom of my heart... hopefully I can convince my wife that this is close enough, and keeps with our tradition of watching one version or another every frikken' year

It's like a Marvel Origins movie  

20 mins ago, Belmo said:

Many, perhaps even most, of the traditions we associate with Christmas are actually Pagan in origin: the Christmas tree, the yule log, getting loaded and barking at the moon, wassailing and all that: these are all leftovers from Saturnalia, the Pagan festival of the winter solstice, which the Romans co-opted in order to get the heathens to embrace Christianity. Religious hucksterism at work!

In fact, though there's disagreement among scholars about when Jesus of Nazareth was actually born -- historically it's been thought it was the spring, because of the whole "shepherds watching over their flocks by night" deal, which only happened during the spring; but recent evidence has led some to point to a fall birth -- one thing that is pretty much certain is that it was not anytime in December. The religious hucksters made it December 25 because that's when Saturnalia happened. And the date has stuck ever since.

Yeah.... no **** Sherlock :rolleyes:

32 mins ago, Belmo said:

Laying holidays on top of existing holidays has been going on long before Jesus.

13 mins ago, RiverRaider said:

Thank you from the very bottom of my heart... hopefully I can convince my wife that this is close enough, and keeps with our tradition of watching one version or another every frikken' year

It's like a Marvel Origins movie  

You'll enjoy it.     We turned it off halfway through for bedtime and I finished it later. 

43 mins ago, Belmo said:

Many, perhaps even most, of the traditions we associate with Christmas are actually Pagan in origin: the Christmas tree, the yule log, getting loaded and barking at the moon,

Getting loaded at barking at the moon is a Christmas tradition ? I want to come to a Christmas party at your house.:beers: