Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mummichog

Archery Guys - Best Mathews Bow?

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

My son wants a compound bow for Christmas.  Preferably a Mathews.  Not brand new, of course.  What do you guys think was the best model?  Thinking about $400 or less in a used bow.  What do you think?  

13 mins ago, Mummichog said:

My son wants a compound bow for Christmas.  Preferably a Mathews.  Not brand new, of course.  What do you guys think was the best model?  Thinking about $400 or less in a used bow.  What do you think?  

Completely subjective question with a 100 right answers.  Does he want a speed bow, or sacrifice s little speed for something a little more forgiving to shoot.  Since there are faster nows than Mathews, I'll assume the latter.  Which is my choice as well as it is a hunting tool not a range trophy.  The biggest driver between the two being brace height and axle to axle distance.

I've shot a Z7 for many years.  It has done everything I have asked of it.

If your son thinks he needs blistering speed, show him that one I shot this year with the clean pass through from the back right hindquarter to the front left shoulder.

Whatever you get him make sure it has a drop away rest on it and take it to a pro shop to get it tuned up.

Enjoy.

9 mins ago, LBI SurfRat said:

Mathews makes a lower budget bow that are fairly decent for the money. Called "Mission". 

This if especially if he is still growing. If you can swing buying a new bow do it. They have a life warranty if I'm not mistaken. 

Re - the Mission.  He has a Diamond Infinite Edge now.  It's kinda like Diamonds version of the mission.  He wants a true Mathews.  I was thinking Switchback, but there have been about a dozen new models since I bought my bow.  Mine is a Featherlite.  It's antiquated.  :D

1 min ago, Mummichog said:

Re - the Mission.  He has a Diamond Infinite Edge now.  It's kinda like Diamonds version of the mission.  He wants a true Mathews.  I was thinking Switchback, but there have been about a dozen new models since I bought my bow.  Mine is a Featherlite.  It's antiquated.  :D

I bought a used Switchback two years ago after reading enough reviews of the, then current, lineup. Lots of people saying they had lost their way and that the SB was the best hunting compound bow Mathews or any other company may have produced. Paired up with the 5mm Easton Axis arrows.

The new bows look great and are always tempting but I can't see spending that kind of money right now. Maybe in 5yrs or so.

1 hour ago, MitchellNJ said:

I bought a used Switchback two years ago after reading enough reviews of the, then current, lineup. Lots of people saying they had lost their way and that the SB was the best hunting compound bow Mathews or any other company may have produced. Paired up with the 5mm Easton Axis arrows.

The new bows look great and are always tempting but I can't see spending that kind of money right now. Maybe in 5yrs or so.

Interesting Mitch.  I bought my Z7 new.  It was the first new bow I'd ever owned and the first one I'd ever (or my dad) paid for.  I was treating myself for my 30th bday or so.   Didn't really investigate pre-owned, the Z7 just happened to be their new flagship at the time.

I did a quick Switchback vs Z7 and most of the comments are about people ditching their Switchback to go with a Z7 as they shoot just as smooth but have quite a bit more speed.   This is all new to me, just what googled up.

Edited by TimS
Links to discussion forums no bueno

1 hour ago, Mummichog said:

I’m still shooting my Zmax.