jjdbike

little smokies appitizer?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

Someone here suggested wrapping little smokies in 1/2 cressent roll and bake.

Sounds good. I'll make these but I'm looking for a way to jazz them up a tad & add a little more flavor,\.

Any ideas?

I searched it on the web and kept bumping into recipes for appitizers w/ little smokies wrapped in bacon and rolled in dark brown sugar.

All of the reviews seemed to be good.

For some reason I can not imagine how that combo of sweet, salty and greasy would tase. 

Has anyone here made this? Is it awkwardly too sweet?

Looking ofr input. Thanks in advance!

JD

37 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Hey folks,

Someone here suggested wrapping little smokies in 1/2 cressent roll and bake.

Sounds good. I'll make these but I'm looking for a way to jazz them up a tad & add a little more flavor,\.

Any ideas?

I searched it on the web and kept bumping into recipes for appitizers w/ little smokies wrapped in bacon and rolled in dark brown sugar.

All of the reviews seemed to be good.

For some reason I can not imagine how that combo of sweet, salty and greasy would tase. 

Has anyone here made this? Is it awkwardly too sweet?

Looking ofr input. Thanks in advance!

JD

My wife does this. They always go over well especially with kids.

They're perfect plain out of the oven.  Add a side of good mustard.  You can add cheese but it becomes more of a hassle if you're trying to crank them out.  

I've seen people heat up little smokies in bbq sauce as an appy and serve with tooth picks.

I’ve seen them dressed up with an egg wash and poppy or sesame seeds.  Look nice.  Also saw a recipe using pizza dough for wrappers and then stacked on end in a round pan so you had to pull them apart.   I’m solidly in the keep it simple and serve with grain mustard camp though

5 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

You can add cheese but it becomes more of a hassle if you're trying to crank them out.  

Certainly don't disagree on that.

And yes, actually, the mustard is more the key than anything else. Have to have a really good one, or better yet, a few different types.....German, English, Irish. (for get the French and their Grey Poupon..... :rolleyes:) , whole grain, spicy, hot, beer made....all have different tastes.

21 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

They're perfect plain out of the oven.  Add a side of good mustard.  You can add cheese but it becomes more of a hassle if you're trying to crank them out.  

I've seen people heat up little smokies in bbq sauce as an appy and serve with tooth picks.

Thanks,

That's what I'm gonna do.

I'll slow cook in BBQ, hot ketchup, what's this here sauce, diced onion & tiny bits of bacon.

While I do love a good spicy mustard, I think it'll be suace overkill.

I like the idea of rolled up in 1/2 cressent w/ a little mustard.

I'll report back!

JD

1 hour ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks,

That's what I'm gonna do.

I'll slow cook in BBQ, hot ketchup, what's this here sauce, diced onion & tiny bits of bacon.

While I do love a good spicy mustard, I think it'll be suace overkill.

I like the idea of rolled up in 1/2 cressent w/ a little mustard.

I'll report back!

JD

I'm confused. I assume you mean you will cook the tiny wieners straight out of the package in that and serve as is, with no dough crust wrap, just presented in the sauce and use toothpicks for service?

Keep in mind that they are fully cooked, you could eat them cold right out of the package if you wanted.

The mustards were intended for those that are wrapped in dough and baked.