Beastly Backlash

December Fishing Reports

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Lol!

Beautiful fish though.

Come up to Pittsburgh, I will put you on some hog sized walleye.

Bring those trout in a live well too, big walleye love them.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

I took the yak out last sunday to a local lake. Caught couple dozen yellow perch up to 11".  No muskie sightings but had some nice marks on the FF.  Not sure how to target muskie this time of year (or any time of year).  My only two muskies were caught while flathead fishing.

11 mins ago, odiemike86 said:

I took the yak out last sunday to a local lake. Caught couple dozen yellow perch up to 11".  No muskie sightings but had some nice marks on the FF.  Not sure how to target muskie this time of year (or any time of year).  My only two muskies were caught while flathead fishing.

Flatheads and musky are top tier apex predators, if you know how to catch flatheads, the approach is similar to musky fishing. Concentrate on location and prey availability.

If you are on top of schools of yellow perch and there are musky in that body of water, do not hesitate to start casting a musky lure. I do the same when around concentrations of walleye and sauger as musky love to eat walleye and sauger and we have large numbers of sauger and walleye in my area.

7 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Flatheads and musky are top tier apex predators, if you know how to catch flatheads, the approach is similar to musky fishing. Concentrate on location and prey availability.

If you are on top of schools of yellow perch and there are musky in that body of water, do not hesitate to start casting a musky lure. I do the same when around concentrations of walleye and sauger as musky love to eat walleye and sauger and we have large numbers of sauger and walleye in my area.

Thanks for the info!  There are big muskies in that particular lake.  Any suggestions on late fall musky lures? Also would live lining yellow perch this time of year be effective?

4 mins ago, odiemike86 said:

Thanks for the info!  There are big muskies in that particular lake.  Any suggestions on late fall musky lures? Also would live lining yellow perch this time of year be effective?

Live lining perch would be effective, just check your local laws and be aware the musky tend to swallow live baits.

This time of year I stick to large cranks and big soft plastic swimbaits, Mike D. is the resident expert who you really want to chime in on tips though.

On 12/9/2018 at 6:39 PM, bennie said:

Skunked,,,,, couldn't find red October,,,but the truck does better in the snow than the Saturn it was fun:)

20181209_182322.jpg

20181209_182249.jpg

The best part about this kind of fishing is that you do not need ice to keep the beer cold.

5 hours ago, sunobskt said:

U clearly love fishing more than me and I didn’t think that was possible. 

1 hour ago, Beastly Backlash said:

The best part about this kind of fishing is that you do not need ice to keep the beer cold.

Hehe,,,,,and you have the river all to yourself :laugh: the best day I had it was 38f and freezing rain,,,thay just stocked the day before,,,,got 26 and 8 was trophy size,,,,:hooked:

Got 1 small trout today,,,,,but a Thunderbird was watching me fish,,,that haven't been around here for a long time,,,,,,but thanks to the state of Virginia I got a new friend :laugh:

20181214_165245.jpg

20181214_165502.jpg

20181214_165348.jpg

20181214_165317.jpg