Government shutdown?

Rate this topic

BrianBM

11 mins ago, KnewBee said:

Duh, if there is a shutdown, I would have to leave KY where I am spending most of my time outdoors and it is very, very cold.   Love the work, but would rather be chasing stripers as the season winds down.  Mid Dec they tend to turn off  

Lol...that is some funny ****

-

"Congress averts shutdown, postponing fight over Trump’s wall

The parties are deadlocked over whether to fund the border wall."

By RACHAEL BADE and BURGESS EVERETT

12/06/2018 10:12 AM EST    Updated 12/06/2018 01:28 PM EST      Politico

No shutdown,    yet....

Interesting that a potential Government Shutdown would result from arguing over funding for an idiotic wall.

Where is the Mexican funding?

8 hours ago, Gotcow? said:

He lacks both the conviction and the balls to do it.

6 hours ago, KnewBee said:

"Congress averts shutdown, postponing fight over Trump’s wall

The parties are deadlocked over whether to fund the border wall."

By RACHAEL BADE and BURGESS EVERETT

12/06/2018 10:12 AM EST    Updated 12/06/2018 01:28 PM EST      Politico

No shutdown,    yet....

Interesting that a potential Government Shutdown would result from arguing over funding for an idiotic wall.

Where is the Mexican funding?

Seems Congress did not have the same convictions as GC :shrug:

As for the Mexican funding, have you read up on H.R. 7059, the 'Build the Wall, Enforce the Law Act of 2018'? https://cis.org/Report/Analyzing-HR-7059-Build-Wall-Enforce-Law-Act-2018

The Hill reported:

Republican senators have introduced legislation to fully fund President Trump’s request of $25 billion for the U.S.-Mexico border wall.

“The WALL Act would fully fund the border wall by closing existing loopholes that provide illegal immigrants with federal benefits and tax credits, without affecting the benefits and tax credits used by Americans,” Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) said in a statement on Thursday.

To pay for the border wall, the Republicans propose to crack down on benefits for undocumented immigrants, including requiring that parents have a Social Security number to claim refundable tax credits, requiring any welfare applicants to prove they are a citizen and increasing minimum fines on individuals who cross the border illegally or overstay visas.

“If you want to receive food stamps and other benefits, then you should prove your citizenship. If you cross the border illegally or overstay your visit to this country, then you should pay a stiff penalty,” Sen. John Kennedy (R-La.) added.

In addition to Kennedy and Cruz, the bill was introduced by Sens. James Inhofe (R-Okla.) and Mike Rounds (R-S.D.).

7 hours ago, KnewBee said:

Duh, if there is a shutdown, I would have to leave KY where I am spending most of my time outdoors and it is very, very cold.   Love the work, but would rather be chasing stripers as the season winds down.  Mid Dec they tend to turn off  

On our dime,furlough and all, right? 

38 mins ago, J said:

Seems Congress did not have the same convictions as GC :shrug:

As for the Mexican funding, have you read up on H.R. 7059, the 'Build the Wall, Enforce the Law Act of 2018'? https://cis.org/Report/Analyzing-HR-7059-Build-Wall-Enforce-Law-Act-2018

The Hill reported:

Republican senators have introduced legislation to fully fund President Trump’s request of $25 billion for the U.S.-Mexico border wall.

“The WALL Act would fully fund the border wall by closing existing loopholes that provide illegal immigrants with federal benefits and tax credits, without affecting the benefits and tax credits used by Americans,” Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) said in a statement on Thursday.

To pay for the border wall, the Republicans propose to crack down on benefits for undocumented immigrants, including requiring that parents have a Social Security number to claim refundable tax credits, requiring any welfare applicants to prove they are a citizen and increasing minimum fines on individuals who cross the border illegally or overstay visas.

“If you want to receive food stamps and other benefits, then you should prove your citizenship. If you cross the border illegally or overstay your visit to this country, then you should pay a stiff penalty,” Sen. John Kennedy (R-La.) added.

In addition to Kennedy and Cruz, the bill was introduced by Sens. James Inhofe (R-Okla.) and Mike Rounds (R-S.D.).

Talk to us once a bill gets to Trumps desk.

9 hours ago, BrianBM said:

I wonder if the President will .... I think, yes, he will do that. Life's been frustrating lately, tomorrow's news may make it more so, and he will feel a need to assert himself.

Your $0.02?

Anyone that advocates smaller gubbemint should relish every opportunity to shut it down. If I were trump, I'd shut it down on a weekly basis so everyone could see how useless it is to the lives of ordinary taxpayers. 

Nobody cares what the parasites think anyway. Let them eat cake. 

Time to grab a yellow vest before they're sold out. 

9 hours ago, BrianBM said:

I wonder if the President will .... I think, yes, he will do that. Life's been frustrating lately, tomorrow's news may make it more so, and he will feel a need to assert himself.

Your $0.02?

Sadly, I believe we are in for two years of things like this.  Once the Democrats have control of the House, it's going to be a mess of tit for tat shutdowns, investigations, etc, etc.  Trump has been riding on the success of the economy, but watch that start to tank with inteference by the opposition party.  The ugly parade to the next POTUS election will be a poop show the next two years.  No one in Washington, from either party cares about what best for the American people, this is about power and who controls the White House and Congress.  The Dems are not very bright, but they must know they have a real chance to take back the White House against a sitting POTUS who makes many uncomfortable, and if the economy tanks (with a little help from the House), they might get the Senate too.  I am about to retire, and what these idiots are about to do to gain power in two years scares me as its effects on Wall Street affect me.

The government never truly gets shut down.

"Ok, Eddy you were right" - minivin5
"Oddly enough, Eddy is right fairly often"- TimS

"Eddy is correct" - TomT

"Say what you will about Eh-ddy but he actually does know a few things." - The Commish