PeterO

Portable electric room heater recommendations

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Looking for one to use in a baby's room, not large say 12x14.  Room is over a garage and is a bitch to keep up to temp with the rest of the house.  Are there any that come with a thermostat?  Are the oil-filled better/safer than the ceramic ones?  Any help appreciated.  Thx.

Edited by PeterO

I’d suggest one that has glycol in it. It keeps the heat longer than a traditional element only heater. Saves a little on electricity as well. 

Room also hard to cool in the summer? 

Mini split heat pump would solve problems year round.

Otherwise any modern electric heater would be safe. All electric heaters are the same efficiency, 100% of electricity used is turned into heat. 3.41 btus per watt

I have a little ceramic one with a fan and high and low setting, it works pretty good,

that being said those overpriced wooden amish ones on TV work good, none of them are noticeably more efficient,  what ted said...

17 mins ago, J Adams said:

I'd never trust an electric heater in an infants room left on all night unattended.

I had one in my sons room. I built a heat shield out of cardboard, paper and lint so that the heat wouldn’t blow directly on him. It worked great 

Peter, if you are looking to add any style of temp heater, please make it permanent style. Hard wire a baseboard heater in. It’s safer than a portable by a long shot. Add a thermostat on the unit itself or better yet on the wall further from the unit but still in the room. 

Heres a link to comparison of two styles. The hydronic is by far the best option, little more cost but has better advantages too. 

Im sure cost of install comes into play also but have someone qualified and lic to do the install. 

https://www.thespruce.com/convection-vs-hydronic-electric-baseboard-heaters-1821911

19 mins ago, J Adams said:

I'd never trust an electric heater in an infants room left on all night unattended.

With the safeties built into the newer ones I wouldn’t have any trouble trusting it.

For added safety make sure the room is on an arc-fault breaker and throw another smoke detector in that room.

They don’t want babies sleeping with blankets so you have to warm the room somehow.

6 mins ago, redfishkiller said:

how about a small window unit with heat in it?

I’m surprised you haven’t offered any of your small cross shaped candles