Plugger207

“ Eel rod” questions

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

So I have been researching and contemplating doing my first build.  I won’t be alone in it, a friend and local tackle shop owner will be supervising.  He’s got tons of experience.  So I have a solid collection of factory builds that fit most of style and needs.  I love eeling and do it very regularly throughout the season.  I currently use a Ron Arra 10 ft XSRA 1203-2.   It works pretty well...I was given the rod and as I’ve grown as a fisherman I’ve come to really like it for tossing eels...got great mojo.  So hears the questions.  I’m between two blank options.

Lamiglas gsb 1201 L

blackhole striper 92 or striper 96

these are my thoughts.  The classic skinner rod is proven and a decent rod if I only want to carry one down the beach.  Throw a plug or bucktail if need be.  And a 1 piece rod I do enjoy.  

The black holes just have me very curious and I’ve read so many positive reviews on their blanks.  2 piece is fine and easy to pack around.  The construction of their blanks seem a bit more rugged than a lamiglas.  Also I won’t need to mess with cutting down the gsb.  

Would love some input to help with a final decision.  Thank you.

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

120-1M.  

Would you leave the blank alone or cut it?  3-6 oz seems like it may be bit stiff?Sort of why I’m intrigued by the black hole striper 96.  Rated 1-5 good eel range very light...also be good throwing other stuff.  Thanks for the input 

I know nothing of the Blackholes. Have always fished lamiglass, and kennedy fisher.For years i fished a 1321l for eels.when i went to braid then a 1201l cut 3 and 3 (actually the tip is cut to a size 11 which might be another 1/2 inch or so) still one of my favorite rods.the 1201m is great if you an pick bigger eels.i fish that with bigger plugs and big eels. All last year i fished a 1201l cut 8 inches off the but. For eels, redfins , sluggos, i really like it.For me great all round rod. I have a hard time imagining that the Blackhole 96 handles 1oz and 5oz well.

Eels are a fragile, clumsy, non-aerodynamic payload. They can't be cast aggressively and can't be cast very far. Therefore, no need for a cutting edge blank. Eels see the most use on rocky shorelines, jetties, riprap, places where the occasional slip and fall are inevitable. Therefore, a glass or composite blank is preferable, because they're durable. My 120-1M is uncut, and I haven't had any problem overstressing the eel on the cast.  I don't own any BH rod, much less the one you specify, so I have no opinion on how they stack up. Derekh's comment is apposite here, I do like larger eels when available. I also rig eels with a chain rather then dacron or GSP back to the vent hook. (My preferred location features deep water and a good current, within reach even of a modest cast, so the weight is nice.)

Have fun.  

Edited by BrianBM

Thanks gentlemen.  I was 90 percent set on a lami 1201l cut but needed the confirmation.  With all the new modern blanks it gets a bit overwhelming.  I’ve been happy with my lamiglas and it’s held up to some pretty rugged Maine fishing.  Couple guides lost here and there...no problem.  Most of my eeling doesn’t require any distance on casts anyway it’s all those fishy factors in play  and the big girls are close....cheers tight lines

Last question to everyone on this topic.  So I’ve decided to build a “Skinner” like  rod over the winter.  Where would be a good option for procuring a lamiglas 1201L  blank?  I’m up in Maine and not excited about shipping over 9 feet.....could travel a pretty good poke for the blank....Rhode island, Connecticut, definitely Mass....thank you again for all the input.

9 hours ago, Plugger207 said:

Last question to everyone on this topic.  So I’ve decided to build a “Skinner” like  rod over the winter.  Where would be a good option for procuring a lamiglas 1201L  blank?  I’m up in Maine and not excited about shipping over 9 feet.....could travel a pretty good poke for the blank....Rhode island, Connecticut, definitely Mass....thank you again for all the input.

CMS, a tackle shop specialized in building custom rods, in Mass,