Jhcorley

WTB: 11wt fly line

11 posts in this topic

For practice sessions with 10-12 weight single hand rods and 8-9 weight two hand rods. I often use an old Scientific Anglers Tarpon line in 11wt intermediate.  The reason being that it is stiff and highly durable, and has a taper that behaves well and can throw large payloads.  They are often found on the big auction site for around $20 or less in new/old stock. 

Not a line for coldwater applications though as it is so stiff already.  Can be stretched out before practice sessions and gives you a worse case scenario for coiling up.  If you don't get a mess of coils when casting it repeatedly you will know you are doing something right.   I believe the head is 37' long.  Look for the older ones with the blue box with the tarpon on front.  Great practice line, lasts forever, and won't break the bank.  YMMV.

That's the vintage Sci Angler line I mentioned, except it's a floater.  It used to come all the way up to 14w, same as the saltwater floater to the right.  $70 is what they used to cost when they came out.

I have a Scientific Anglers Titan WF11F for sale...had it spooled on a reel for my Louisiana trip earlier this month but it hasn't been used.