Southcoastphil

Longshot, I admit: Dog transportation from GA to MA/RI?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Do any of you have experience getting a dog from one US state to another US state? (In this specific case, its from Atlanta to to SE MA.)

While visiting my daughter and SIL in Atlanta for Thanksgiving week, I was smitten by Wally, for whom they were foster parents.  (My daughter has been involved with animal rescue, both in Boston and Atlanta, for several years, and Wally is their 12th foster dog.)

5c0978b5c1d8c_IMG_0386(Edited).JPG.cbb829e58d1e3b471612982a85d86f63.JPG

IMG_0387.JPG.3ce48ac1eccd38498db4f7bd4c3d42f1.JPG

All paperwork and payments are now complete.  As a rescue dog, Wally is up to date with all medical treatments and has been neutered, with appropriate documentation.

I've looked at:

--Flying to ATL then flying back with him, which means that he will have to be in a special cargo area, because (even though he's only 33#) there's no way that he will be allowed into the passenger compartment.

--Amtrak:  No dice.

--Pet transport, via ground:  Estimates range from $350 to $800.

Can any of you suggest other options?

AS always, TIA for any insights you care to share.

Has dog been crate trained / conditioned?  If so flying is not a big deal, your two options are Delta & United.  Delta charges a flat rate and United charges by the pound including kennel, which for a 45-50lb dog plus a kennel will be about 60-70% more. 

You do not have to fly with him...have your daughter ship him cargo and you pick him up at the delta terminal here... no sweat dog will Be here in a few hours.  I think United may have suspended cargo shipments without passengers as they changed their program this June. 

I shipped my dogs by ground courier to North Dakota and flew them in and out of Omaha & Kansas City this year.  Dog couriers even the best, take 3-6 days of travel in a van with other dogs, for minimal savings, and stresses dogs out more  IMO. 

I only use them due to heat embargo in the summer and the fact that Minot ND is hard to get to from NYC.

if you insist on using a ground courier, google couriers that transport hunting dogs to field trials, these guys are pros and understand dogs, I use Gun dog express. 

buckmaster,

Wally is indeed crate trained, and not as a punishment location.

I've given up on Delta Cargo, given that I waited wayyyyy too long on hold with them yesterday, accepted their offer to have them call me back, and, guess what?  No call back in almost 24 hours now.

I will DEFF look into hunting dog couriers (I've owned Labs and a Brittany in the past), so THANK YOU for your insights.

Geez Phil I feel bad for you - I would think with all the damn people flying with so called "therapy" pets this wouldn't be a big deal?  

Phil -

Congratulations on finding Wally! He's super cute. I would suggest dog couriers as well. There's been too many incidents of late with airlines and dogs.

Kathleen

You may have luck reaching out to local  dog rescues. They frequently organize transportation from the south to NE and might be able to get you a better price if they send Wally up as part of a group.

41 mins ago, DZ said:

Geez Phil I feel bad for you - I would think with all the damn people flying with so called "therapy" pets this wouldn't be a big deal?  

Geez, DZ, I *might* need therapy, but I'd have preferred that you didn't publicize it!

30 mins ago, joem said:

You may have luck reaching out to local  dog rescues. They frequently organize transportation from the south to NE and might be able to get you a better price if they send Wally up as part of a group.

Wally is actually a rescue dog.  I've spoken with the ATL rescue league as well as the Boston rescue league that Alida worked with and they've given me referrals for pet transport cos.

5 mins ago, Jato said:

Look into "Pilots N Paws"

Just did.  Looks like their pilots typically work within a 250-mi radius, which does not match the Atlanta -New 

England distance.  Thanks for the tip though, for I shall pass it on to my daughter.

14 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

Just did.  Looks like their pilots typically work within a 250-mi radius, which does not match the Atlanta -New 

England distance.  Thanks for the tip though, for I shall pass it on to my daughter.

I’m not entirely sure, but I believe they coordinate handoffs between destinations spreading out flight times. 

Hope you find a sound solution. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Maybe rent a camper and do a road trip. Took Angle our shepard to Florida from NY she loved road trips.   

Roxy Nala Sophie and Harley didn't like getting in the car. 

Screenshot_2016-05-30-20-19-09.png

Screenshot_2018-12-06-19-12-19-1.png

Screenshot_2018-12-06-19-08-10-1.png

20160821_130607.jpg

Edited by the3fishheads

Thanks for all of your suggestions, folks.  I'm cautiously optimistic that I have found a safe and feasible solution for my lil guy.

IMG_0378.MOV

Fingers crossed that all works out and the he will be here next week.