Steve Schullery

Orvis or Bean stripping baskets--pros and cons?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Nothing worse than having the wind blow the line out of the basket when on a jetty and not seeing it and stepping or it or have it get cut or chaffed on the rocks.

I also like the deeper basket when I am on the beach and I see breaking fish that makes me put my old body into JOG Mode while trying to keep the line in the basket. It ain't easy !!!!

13 hours ago, mattlav18 said:

I’m an Albie guy, usually on a jetty, and I like my Orvis basket for the depth of it. If It’s windy at all, I know my shallower line-curve will leak line out of it. I have much better success with keeping line in the basket with the Orvis when I’m perched on a jetty, and prefer the line-curve when I’m on the sand or protected from the wind.

Good point about the wind.    Can those in the thread who have the three baskets in question post the depths of their basket?

Would like to take that into consideration on my next build.

Thx,

HT

Hilltop,

Very unscientific outside measurements measured from the floor to the lip of the basket. 

Orvis is 6” tall on all sided.

The Linekurv is 6” deep in the back and 5 1/2” in the front, which is the same as the old tan colored Bean basket which I also have.

inside depth would be a bit less of course.

Don’t have a new Bean basket to measure.

Hope this helps.

SF

If I know I will be fishing certain Rocky marks I will take a deeper DIY line tray for reasons cited above. It’s a good 10” deep. I use my Orvis one everywhere else. I find the original ll bean one to bulky. 

When wind is an issue, it does not take much than more  a small amount of water in the basket to keep the wind from blowing it out.  The one thing I noticed on the replies is people certainly have their allegiance to their baskets.