Steve Schullery

Orvis or Bean stripping baskets--pros and cons?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I saw someone using the new Bean basket. Didn't use it myself but it looked ok.

I've used a old Bean basket and also have a Orvis and a Linekurv basket

If I had to decide between the three, I'd go with the Linekurv.

Lighter then the old Bean basket and more cones and wider then the Orvis.

Just a personal preference. Good luck with your decision.

SF

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am a really big fan of the Orvis Basket, I had my first one get washed out to sea by a rogue wave and very strong offshore wind while I was releasing a big fish after revival, when I turned around it was gone. The next day I bought a new one.

I am not sure,  I think the Bean is heavier and I don't like the tall fingers, I always bang my fingers when I strip line into the basket when I borrowed my friends once to try it.

The advantage of the the bean Basket would be this when you're looking for a place to lay a rod down in certain situations. I always just lay my reel in my hat on the sand.

th.jpg.82cf7a4a1c729a65a64c61213da2c10d.jpg

Edited by bonefishdick

Steve,  I'm thinking of another iteration of my HT basket , ( its winter after all),  with smaller diameter cones/spikes using my curved basket.    Almost as simple to build two as it is one so if you want I'll do an extra.  Materials aren't that bad and I work for cheap.   ie:  Pink Wonders. :)

HT

Will be similar to this:  

I'm not sure I would want a foam basket. The great thing about my Orvis line tray is that it's so tough and has lasted over a decade of abuse. I can't see a foam basket lasting very long. Not to mention the cost. Also isn't there a risk of it blowing away if you take it off being light foam?

10 hours ago, RJ said:

Hilltop, I'd love to be your Field Tester for 2019!

Bob

in that case you have to sign in blood that you will fly fish every day minimum of three hours.

Oly

13 hours ago, HillTop said:

Steve,  I'm thinking of another iteration of my HT basket , ( its winter after all),  with smaller diameter cones/spikes using my curved basket.    Almost as simple to build two as it is one so if you want I'll do an extra.  Materials aren't that bad and I work for cheap.   ie:  Pink Wonders. :)

HT

Will be similar to this:  

Thanks for the kind offer, but the deal is, I need nothing but my wife needs something she can buy for me, if you know what I mean. So, some commercial product that can be ordered ... I'v e decided on the fiskar variation on the Linekurv. Thanks all for the input!

On 12/7/2018 at 9:36 AM, Mike Oliver said:

Bob

in that case you have to sign in blood that you will fly fish every day minimum of three hours.

Oly

We could possibly make an exception for the senior most member of our group.   Three hours may interfere with quality time on the lawn with cigar and tasty libations :)

On 12/6/2018 at 7:41 PM, bonefishdick said:

I am a really big fan of the Orvis Basket, I had my first one get washed out to sea by a rogue wave and very strong offshore wind while I was releasing a big fish after revival, when I turned around it was gone. The next day I bought a new one.

I am not sure,  I think the Bean is heavier and I don't like the tall fingers, I always bang my fingers when I strip line into the basket when I borrowed my friends once to try it.

The advantage of the the bean Basket would be this when you're looking for a place to lay a rod down in certain situations. I always just lay my reel in my hat on the sand.

th.jpg.82cf7a4a1c729a65a64c61213da2c10d.jpg

Another advantage of the Bean basket just now is they have a 25% off code on their website plus you get a $10 gift certificate on a $50 purchase for future use (until 2/19). Orvis current $25 off $50 promo code plus free shipping excludes fishing gear. Personally, I've always liked my Orvis basket and would replace it with another Orvis, if needed. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’m an Albie guy, usually on a jetty, and I like my Orvis basket for the depth of it. If It’s windy at all, I know my shallower line-curve will leak line out of it. I have much better success with keeping line in the basket with the Orvis when I’m perched on a jetty, and prefer the line-curve when I’m on the sand or protected from the wind.

Edited by mattlav18