The BuzzardsBayBruin

New Suffolk county DA

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, mikez2 said:

My next question would be, of the charges listed, what percentage of those charges end up dismissed currently after first bogging down the system,  making poor people more poor and rich shyster lawyers more rich?

A whole crapton of space on the docket will open once the last of the weed charges trickles through the system. 

^^^^^ This  :th: 

48 mins ago, bdowning said:

Yeah but the wrong people will stay behind. :p

Think about all of the meatheads that will be born and bread by the free riff raff!

4 hours ago, clambellies said:

Well, if all of you guys are leaving the state, that ought to free up some fishing spots.......

With the locals gone how are the out of staters going to find the fish? You know, with no one to cast over?:p 

12 mins ago, The BuzzardsBayBruin said:

With the locals gone how are the out of staters going to find the fish? You know, with no one to cast over?:p 

Hire a guide and, pay him in pot (on the QT of course)…………….

2 hours ago, b-ware said:

Hire a guide and, pay him in pot (on the QT of course)…………….

No, pay them in stolen goods as it will no longer be a crime under her watch. Just get the stuff in Suffolk county.

Straight from her website:

CHARGES TO BE DECLINED

Charges for which the Default is to Decline Prosecuting (unless supervisor permission is obtained).

• Trespassing
  • Shoplifting (including offenses that are essentially shoplifting but charged as larceny)
  • Larceny under $250
  • Disorderly conduct
  • Disturbing the peace
  • Receiving stolen property
  • Minor driving offenses, including operating with a suspend or revoked license
  • Breaking and entering — where it is into a vacant property or where it is for the purpose of sleeping or seeking refuge from the cold and there is no actual damage to property
  • Wanton or malicious destruction of property
  • Threats – excluding domestic violence
  • Minor in possession of alcohol
  • Drug possession
  • Drug possession with intent to distribute
  • A stand alone resisting arrest charge, i.e. cases where a person is charged with resisting arrest and that is the only charge
  • A resisting arrest charge combined with only charges that all fall under the list of charges to decline to prosecute, e.g. resisting arrest charge combined only with a trespassing charge

Instead of prosecuting, these cases should be (1) outright dismissed prior to arraignment or (2) where appropriate, diverted and treated as a civil infraction for which community service is satisfactory, restitution is satisfactory or engagement with appropriate community-based no-cost programming, job training or schooling is satisfactory. In the exceptional circumstances where prosecution of one of these charges is warranted, the line DA must first seek permission from his or her supervisor. If necessary, arraignment will be continued to allow for consultation with supervisor. Thus, there will be an avenue for prosecuting these misdemeanors when necessary but it will be appropriately overseen by experienced prosecutors.

Note: this is essentially already happening for drug possession cases in Roxbury and Dorchester District Court.

Posted (edited) · Report post

One important note:

The misdemeanor/felony line for larceny shifted up to $1200 from $250. So the misdemeanor charge now is “Larceny under $1200.” That was effective in July I believe.

Interested to see how the new DA handles it. Even more interested as to why a DA wouldn’t update this during her campaign...... I’m assuming it will make its way to the decline to prosecute list. 

My mind is blown that something such as a “decline to prosecute list” is what we’ve come to. I respect that she’s trying to fix poverty and racial issues. But, seems pretty ironic that she’s going to stereotype every single one of these law breakers into one type of person.

Discretion is such an important part of policing and the judiciary system. I’m not entirely sure why someone would want to take away the discretion - besides to rally votes from those that don’t already vote.

Edited by JTR

11 hours ago, JTR said:

Discretion is such an important part of policing and the judiciary system. I’m not entirely sure why someone would want to take away the discretion - besides to rally votes from those that don’t already vote.

I agree that discretion is important. Supervisors will retain that discretion though. I think we’ll see them using that discretion to prosecute repeat offenders and particularly egregious cases.

1 hour ago, joem said:

I agree that discretion is important. Supervisors will retain that discretion though. I think we’ll see them using that discretion to prosecute repeat offenders and particularly egregious cases.

I’m going to politely disagree with the repeat offender part. Her whole shpeel is that these crimes are a product of poverty and that these people get stuck in lifetimes of crime and poverty because they are punished.

I think you’re going to see very few of these crimes prosecuted, even for repeat offenders.

Police won’t stop arresting, which will eventually put the burden on the DA’s office to explain to victims why they won’t get justice for being wronged. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

There are going to be people who will take this as a license to steal, and will say so when they're in court for the tenth time. The PD will accord this maximum publicity. The voters will have their chance to think about it.