jeffreyrichard

Paddle recommendations

10 posts in this topic

Tried to do a search but "paddle" comes up a gazillion times ...

Recommendations for paddle (and size) upgrade from the $19.95 Job Lot aluminum special? I am 6-2, I have a 2006 Tarpon 140

Posted (edited) · Report post

Paddles are like women. Everyone has a particular shape or style that they like. 

You could spend anywhere  from 50 bucks to 500 bucks. It all depends on what you are looking to do.

Do you want to paddle great distances ? What type of a paddle stroke do you have ? Will you be in the surf zone ?  The lighter paddles normally are more expensive. They also allow you to paddle longer distances.

Paddling technique is also very important. Poor technique with a  good paddle won't help you much.

My advice to you would be to check out some paddling video's to work on your form.  I am partial to carbon fiber paddles. I like the werner camano. But this is just my personal opinion. Good paddles can be picked up on sale or used. Most paddles will last a good long time if you take care of them.  You tube has some great paddling videos. What size paddle do you currently have ?   I attached a fit guide for paddles not sure if the moderator

will edit it out. 

http://www.wernerpaddles.com/fit-guide/

Edited by dbjpb

Posted (edited) · Report post

Try using in the search some of the names of better makes, like Bending Branches & Werner. There's tons of discussion. Here's a recent thread.

Edited by gellfex

Dont overthink it if paddle is secondary in terms of  propulsion.  Anything under $100 with ~5 stars on Amazon would be a yuuge upgrade from alum.

I have had this for few years: Carlisle Magic Plus Kayak Paddle

2 hours ago, dbjpb said:

I think a tarpon 140 may be a paddle kayak ? 

Correct ... 

Not going to be doing surf launches, mostly backwater/protected bays

I get the technique advice, but for the sake of this post lets assume that my technique is OK (or will be OK) ... what are people going with? Looking for value, not necessarily the best ... 

Also, besides Craig's List, are there other places to find pre-owned that folks use?

Ebay sells used paddles too. Most paddle manufacturers run a  15% - 20% off  sale  annually.

I have seen paddles on this forum  in the kayak and boat section.

If shopping used in season is best time to buy. If shopping new check  the internet for deals/ sales..

I would not want a used paddle shipped to me it could get broken easily.  If you buy new you will 

get free shipping most of the time and it is insured.  Anything you buy will be a big improvement over

an aluminum paddle. 

E bay has some werner camano's from size 220 - 260 between 100 and 200 dollars.

Selection normally better during season on used ones.

Selection normally best now on new ones.

Any paddle you buy will be much better then an aluminum shaft one.

There are many brands to pick from as well as many retailers.

I am a guy about your size, and use a Carbon fiber model that cost me around $200. Aqua Bound is the brand.

It has a wide blade, and I feel it gives me more 'horsepower' per stroke, as they move more water.

I had another paddle by Aqua Bound that was fiberglass, with a narrower blade, and in a tidal current, the shaft would flex when I cranked on the paddle going against the tide. The Carbon fiber shaft fixed all that.

In no way am I telling you my is the best, or the only way.

It is what works for me where I paddle, which is ocean inlets, back bays, and the Chesapeake Bay and tribs.

Good points. Some people like the larger blades for more power with each stroke. Older guys  not paddling  in much current may prefer a narrower blade. If possible test before you buy. Good luck with your decision. There are many choices out there. All likely much better then the aluminum paddle you have now.