redfishkiller

how old is this

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

3 weeks

Blizzard:   The Dietz Blizzard was first introduced in 1898 as the No.2 Cold Blast , and is one of only three lanterns that has remained in continuous production for over 100 years.  (The other two are the Junior and Monarch.)  There are at least five variations of the Blizzard, not counting the Blizzard Dash Lantern, and Blizzard Mill Lanterns.  Millions of Blizzards have been produced since 1898, making it one of the most common lanterns in the world.   However, surviving Blizzards made before 1912 are fairly rare, especially in good condition.  The oldest Blizzards have a globe lift to the outside of the air tube, a brass finger ring, and a 9/16" fuel cap, making them very easy to identify.  All Blizzards made since 1912 have a 3/4" fuel cap.  Blizzards made after 1917 have both vertical and horizontal beads in the air tubes.  Copper tank and Brass Tank and Crown versions of the Blizzard were produced prior to 1938 for applications where tank corrosion was a problem.   In late 1937, the Blizzard was streamlined to reflect the Art Deco era.  Today, the modern #80 Blizzard closely resembles the large tank "Standard" Blizzard of the 1930's and '40's.  Dietz also made a #1 Blizzard that used 5/8" wick before 1914.  The #1 Blizzard is very rare, as it was an unpopular model, and was discontinued in favor of the less expensive Junior lantern. 

Just now, RiverRaider said:

What's this like some half-assed Antiques Roadshow thread or something? 

I don't know why, but I laffed

4 mins ago, Tom T said:

There's this thing called Google, red....

hey **** you!

maybe I just wanted to see how many pages we can get out of a lantern thread.

I have a bunch I'll post picks later lol

Love it :th: I’ve got some old lanterns I picked up over the years at estate sales and yard sales. Some are blue, some red and some that beautiful many ‘been in a shed for 100 years’ rust color :)

I was gonna post what Tommy posted but it seemed redundant :bucktooth: His Google must be faster ;)

TimS

1 min ago, redfishkiller said:

hey **** you!

maybe I just wanted to see how many pages we can get out of a lantern thread.

I have a bunch I'll post picks later lol

Eff Tom...I like old lanterns, they got stories :) 

Just now, TimS said:

Love it :th: I’ve got some old lanterns I picked up over the years at estate sales and yard sales. Some are blue, some red and some that beautiful many ‘been in a shed for 100 years’ rust color :)

I was gonna post what Tommy posted but it seemed redundant :bucktooth: His Google must be faster ;)

TimS

the lady at the antique store gave my wife a half dozen or so, she didn't have any way to despose of the oil in them :squid: