bkupmstr

Anyone stave off knee replacement

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

Turning 60 shortly and th doc says next step is full knee replacement

would like to avoid surgery if any way possible

overweight by about pounds

had micro fracture surgery about 5 years ago but now pain is back with a vengence

tried Synvisc shots about a month ago and they offered no help

anybody staved off the surgery by losing weight and strengthening the muscles surrounding the knee?

im giving this a shot anyway as i just don’t want the surgery

i know everyone that’s had th surgery regrets waiting so long but, going under the knife just seems to mess up more stuff

thanks

Posted (edited) · Report post

My doc has suggested the same thing, but I'm only 51, and still have some miniscus left.  Losing weight is a huge deal, and has so many other benefits.

You should ask @Terrymac for some motivational tidbits.

Edited by Kings over Queens

I’m literally sitting in St Francis Hospital radiology waiting room now for a CT Scan of my left knee.

Knee replacement is scheduled for 17-DEC. I had the right knee done exactly one year ago, and it’s 100%. I’m looking forward to getting the left done so I can get back to normal.

i was walking with a cane hours after surgery and the pain was less than before the operation. I was back to work at a desk in 1 1/2 weeks.

My doctor is great, maybe the best there is. PM if you want his name.

MIL ( late 60’s) and BIL ( early 50’s). It’s had it done and neither regrets it. My BIL only regrets not being more dedicated to the PT afterwards.

2 mins ago, bkupmstr said:

Turning 60 shortly and th doc says next step is full knee replacement

would like to avoid surgery if any way possible

overweight by about pounds

had micro fracture surgery about 5 years ago but now pain is back with a vengence

tried Synvisc shots about a month ago and they offered no help

anybody staved off the surgery by losing weight and strengthening the muscles surrounding the knee?

im giving this a shot anyway as i just don’t want the surgery

i know everyone that’s had th surgery regrets waiting so long but, going under the knife just seems to mess up more stuff

thanks

I know about a dozen people who have had knee replacements and I don't think one person has regretted it.  Minimally invasive and I think they were in and out of the hospital within the week.  While I think strengthening your leg and losing weight is a great idea, most knee replacements are due to the disc between your leg bones wearing away until you get bone on bone contact.  Your solution isn't going to solve that problem.

Something to consider is you are getting older.  The older you get, the riskier even simple surgeries become.  You are still young enough that with a new knee, you have a lot of living to do.  Why do it in agony?  Why wait until a point where you can't enjoy the new knee?

2 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

MIL ( late 60’s) and BIL ( early 50’s). It’s had it done and neither regrets it. My BIL only regrets not being more dedicated to the PT afterwards.

Neighbor of mine 10 years my senior just had it done 3 months ago

PT is a must and he says he feels great

1 min ago, Patrick9915 said:

I know about a dozen people who have had knee replacements and I don't think one person has regretted it.  Minimally invasive and I think they were in and out of the hospital within the week.  While I think strengthening your leg and losing weight is a great idea, most knee replacements are due to the disc between your leg bones wearing away until you get bone on bone contact.  Your solution isn't going to solve that problem.

Something to consider is you are getting older.  The older you get, the riskier even simple surgeries become.  You are still young enough that with a new knee, you have a lot of living to do.  Why do it in agony?  Why wait until a point where you can't enjoy the new knee?

All good points Patrick

had major surgery in 7/2017 and still feeling the effects

knee surgery should be a Cake walk compared to it.

was really hoping to do it winter of 2019 if i could hold things off

My MIL ended up better than her younger SIL because she did the PT full effort. It’s damn near as important as the actual surgery, it seems. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sooner or later you'll be bone on bone and the only way to put off a replacement  is to become a master of dealing with the constant pain. I know from experience. Both knees replaced at age 57 and 58. The whole thing was not that bad really. with the current materials used for the replacements they should last 35-40 years per the surgeon. 

Edited by jimmy1956
speeling

You have to look at your x-ray, if you have miniscus missing from an edge you might be able to strengthen and get by, but if it is all shot, that's not going to help.

I did it to my right, and have to get the left done soon.

Here's the right - there's no avoiding it when it gets this bad:

xray2.JPG

xray1.JPG

My sports medicine doctor &  his peers also told me knee injuries, which I am free of can be due to over weight, over doing activities and re-aggravateting a much earlier in life injury that was never treated correctly. i.e. football injury. He also said the biggest culprit of knees , spine & ankles "over supported" running shoes and running/jogging on pavement is something he is dealing with a lot. Don't run on pavement he warns.

If you need replacement surgery done and are still relatively active, be it golfing, maybe an occasional court sport, fishing, hiking or occupationally physical labor...Have it done now. so that you can keep going and enjoy your life. 

By not doing it it will eventually slows you down to inactivity as you get older.

These things are not cheap even with insurance, my hip replacement on paper was 60K for everything. after my insurance company negotiated down, I was still on the hook for about $6K...But my quality of life improved, my activity changed, my excuses diminished, my popping advil all the time came to a stop, I sleep better etc....a small price to pay.

My sports medicine doctor &  his peers also told me knee injuries, which I am free of can be due to over weight, over doing activities and re-aggravateting a much earlier in life injury that was never treated correctly. i.e. football injury. He also said the biggest culprit of knees , spine & ankles "over supported" running shoes and running/jogging on pavement is something he is dealing with a lot. Don't run on pavement he warns.

3 mins ago, iphish said:

By not doing it it will eventually slows you down to inactivity as you get older.

This is a really excellent point.  Inactivity now due to your knee pain may come and bite you in the ass later on.  Get fit while you still can.

14 mins ago, jimmy1956 said:

Sooner or later you'll be bone on bone and the only way to put off a replacement  is to become a master of dealing with the constant pain. I know from experience. Both knees replaced at age 57 and 58. The whole thing was not that bad really. with the current materials used for the replacements they should last 35-40 years per the surgeon. 

exactly.....My surgeon said by the time my hip wears out I'll be dead. I was up immediately, walking resuming some activity,  recovered to 80% in a month, by the 3rd month I was 95%...almost 2 years later I can't even remember having it done, I don't feel it.

24 mins ago, bkupmstr said:

Neighbor of mine 10 years my senior just had it done 3 months ago

PT is a must and he says he feels great

I never went to physical therapy. I rode my bicycle and took stairs for a flight or two for a couple of weeks.

Its an outpatient procedure unless you have a bad reaction to anesthesia, then they keep you overnight.

on the way home, I walked into CVS with a cane and filled my own prescriptions.

All people and their conditions are different but how well you doctor cuts your bones is critical to a successful recovery. My doctor used a robot that he programmed to cut my knee. He says that you can’t get better results, provided you know how to program it, and he obviously does.