Patrick9915

People who travel for work

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

How do you do it?  I hate being away from home.  I had a job offer a few years ago for a company that would have sent me overseas every year for 2 months for training and then 50-75% on the road troubleshooting operations in east coast plants.  I did not get that job and I think part of it was my face when I saw how much travel time was involved.

I don't think I could do that. I don't like to be away from home that much.

Been carrying the bag for about 10 years now

the travel is always fun if you go someplace nice and get to enjoy it, unfortunately that was rare for me.

while i was traveling heavy i hated it ; long hours and and i hated eating alone

it got to the point where all the hotels looked the same and i sometimes would forget what city i was in, sometimes went the the room number i was in the previous week

on the bright side i racked up a lot of frequent flier miles and vacationed a lot for free or cheap

i always heard that if you bring some personal items with you like a photo of your honey or a pillow it makes the hotels feel more like home.

i also used to try to find some sight to see when i had time or visit one of the better restaurants

it did help me appreciate what i had at home more 

my travel is now limited to the eastern half of the country now so it’s not too bad

Very cool.  I am not a good traveler.  I mean, I do planes alright but I hate going through the airports.  I also don't like being away from my wife.  I really wish I had the chance to see Switzerland.  Not a place I would want to go on my own dime but it looks beautiful.

I would miss my wife terribly.  The look on her face when I told her I would be in Switzerland and Germany for 2 months out of the year was so heart breaking.

1 min ago, Patrick9915 said:

Very cool.  I am not a good traveler.  I mean, I do planes alright but I hate going through the airports.  I also don't like being away from my wife.  I really wish I had the chance to see Switzerland.  Not a place I would want to go on my own dime but it looks beautiful.

I would miss my wife terribly.  The look on her face when I told her I would be in Switzerland and Germany for 2 months out of the year was so heart breaking.

The good thing about frequent travel is you get better at it.

i almost put myself on autopilot when traveling through Newark airport here.

i drive to the same parking lot and although TSA changes around a bit it becomes like a habit and is now almost easy.

i have to admit i do miss the wifey quite a bit also

7 mins ago, Patrick9915 said:

after another ten years you'll be begging for a traveling job....

1 min ago, redfishkiller said:

after another ten years you'll be begging for a traveling job....

One of the things I like about my job is it's pretty predictable but the same scenery does get stale.

There's people that like to travel, and there's people that don't - it's that simple.

I don't, but I work with a bunch of people that do, and they do it a lot.

The missing your honey thing will fade, and frankly it's probably easier travelling than it is working in the trenches every day, actually taking care of stuff. 

Some like seeing the world, interfacing with different people, nice restaurants, different plants and equipment - it's all interesting.

I just hate the boredom of travel. 

Just now, Patrick9915 said:

One of the things I like about my job is it's pretty predictable but the same scenery does get stale.

this ^^^^^

I go to different restaurants and an occasional residential  every day,  I dont think I could go to the same plant and look at the same piece of equipment or desk every day. 

3 mins ago, Billybob said:

There's people that like to travel, and there's people that don't - it's that simple.

I don't, but I work with a bunch of people that do, and they do it a lot.

The missing your honey thing will fade, and frankly it's probably easier travelling than it is working in the trenches every day, actually taking care of stuff. 

Some like seeing the world, interfacing with different people, nice restaurants, different plants and equipment - it's all interesting.

I just hate the boredom of travel. 

The worst part of traveling is the waiting.  Sitting in an airport.  Yuck.  Missing the wife sucks.  I have a hard time sleeping when she's not in bed.

Just now, redfishkiller said:

this ^^^^^

I go to different restaurants and an occasional residential  every day,  I dont think I could go to the same plant and look at the same piece of equipment or desk every day. 

Could you imagine working on assembly line bolting the same part or a punch operator punching the same holes day in day out ? f that.

4 mins ago, mitchell master said:

Could you imagine working on assembly line bolting the same part or a punch operator punching the same holes day in day out ? f that.

You ever watch How It's Made?  I see people doing the same monotonous job, piece after piece.  I don't see how that's rewarding or how you can keep your motivation up knowing there are a hundred more pieces coming down the line with your name on it.

2 mins ago, Patrick9915 said:

You ever watch How It's Made?  I see people doing the same monotonous job, piece after piece.  I don't see how that's rewarding or how you can keep your motivation up knowing there are a hundred more pieces coming down the line with your name on it.

still better than a chicken slaughter house lol

I used to travel (air) ...I don't miss it. The airline industry ( no matter who is paying for it) is the worse run business in america.

The people I know who do travel, I often ask them could they conduct the same business with out the face time with a client. Most sheepishly say yes or yeah " we just shoot the sh/t went we meet anyway"