Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MagDarter

QUESTION: NAUTILUS CCF REEL

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Does anyone know the difference between the CCF and the CCF 2?  It look like the original CCF came out in 2004-5 and the X2 maybe 2 years ago?

just trying to understand the key difference between the two. 

If I remember correctly, and I probably don't, the CCFX2 has more max drag than the original.

The CCFX2 has a much larger drag knob than the original.

The CCFX2 takes several turns of the drag knob to reach max, the original takes a turn or a little more.

The CCFX2 has ceramic bearing and the original doesn't.

I have both and they have both performed very well for me. 

They are very different. CCF is = to the NV drag as in the whole hub rotates. The CCFX2 has a fixed hub. The CCFX2 also has a ridiculously long drag adjustment of 6 turns which can be very annoying depending on your preferences. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

They got cosmetic, ergonomic and technical differences. I  got the CCF12 and the CCF X2 8/10. The original CCF drag system was a bit brittle if you can say so about a drag. There were pretty big differences between individual reels when it comes to drag power etc and it failed me two times. Bearing failure both times. After that they made a updated version of the whole hub and it has been perfect. Lacks a bit of power as it "only" goes up  to 10lb or so, but the drag is butter smooth and I just love that reel.

The CCF X2 is a better version of that reel in every other way apart from the drag adjustment. For some reason they wanted to go up to about 7 turns of drag adjustment instead of 3 or 4(can't remember exactly) on the old one that is plenty enough even for "finesse" adjusting. The newer reel packs a big punch when it comes to drag and goes up to about 15-16lb at the max. That drag is smooth too. Smooth like butter. The problem with this reels max drag is  that the drag strength jumps from 7-9lb to 15-16lb with in the last 3/4 turn and with so many turns it's hard to keep up with the level you are at.

Even with their flaws those reels are still my favorite reels. I love the silky smooth, cork like drag feel they have, they are very smooth to reel in, they got very good dimensions and size to weight ratios and their ergonomics are fantastic for me. I just wish that the next model will be one that has changed some of the features that really annoy me. Before that I just have to live with them.  

Edited by jabster

5 hours ago, jabster said:

They got cosmetic, ergonomic and technical differences. I  got the CCF12 and the CCF X2 8/10. The original CCF drag system was a bit brittle if you can say so about a drag. There were pretty big differences between individual reels when it comes to drag power etc and it failed me two times. Bearing failure both times. After that they made a updated version of the whole hub and it has been perfect. Lacks a bit of power as it "only" goes up  to 10lb or so, but the drag is butter smooth and I just love that reel.

The CCF X2 is a better version of that reel in every other way apart from the drag adjustment. For some reason they wanted to go up to about 7 turns of drag adjustment instead of 3 or 4(can't remember exactly) on the old one that is plenty enough even for "finesse" adjusting. The newer reel packs a big punch when it comes to drag and goes up to about 15-16lb at the max. That drag is smooth too. Smooth like butter. The problem with this reels max drag is  that the drag strength jumps from 7-9lb to 15-16lb with in the last 3/4 turn and with so many turns it's hard to keep up with the level you are at.

Even with their flaws those reels are still my favorite reels. I love the silky smooth, cork like drag feel they have, they are very smooth to reel in, they got very good dimensions and size to weight ratios and their ergonomics are fantastic for me. I just wish that the next model will be one that has changed some of the features that really annoy me. Before that I just have to live with them.  

Do you know what the bearing is made of for the older CCF? 

Reason I ask these questions is I recently found a leftover at a shop on sale and I pulled the trigger.  I just want to make sure it’s worth keeping the reel... 

I’m going to give Nautilus a call today to ensure they still service these reels too in case a bearing going etc.  

also, does anyone know if the old bearing can be replaced with a ceramic bearing? 

I'm not sure about the bearing as I just tossed it to the bin after I got it back from Nautilus. The second time I didn't get it back. I'm pretty sure you can get replacements for them if they happen to fail.

1 hour ago, jabster said:

I'm not sure about the bearing as I just tossed it to the bin after I got it back from Nautilus. The second time I didn't get it back. I'm pretty sure you can get replacements for them if they happen to fail.

Since you have both reels, what’s your bottom line... do you think the original CCF is worth It?  I found a decent deal on one and am trying to decide if I should keep or not 

12 hours ago, MagDarter said:

Since you have both reels, what’s your bottom line... do you think the original CCF is worth It?  I found a decent deal on one and am trying to decide if I should keep or not 

I think that the new version is better in every other aspect than the drag adjustment. It's just too long on the new one. But like I said I use the old one  a lot too. With it's new drag hub and some custom mods (bigger handle and bigger drag knob) made by a friend of mine it's a stable reel in my arsenal.

6 hours ago, jabster said:

I think that the new version is better in every other aspect than the drag adjustment. It's just too long on the new one. But like I said I use the old one  a lot too. With it's new drag hub and some custom mods (bigger handle and bigger drag knob) made by a friend of mine it's a stable reel in my arsenal.

Sweet thanks for the reassurance