BearAssHippo

Plugs found on the beach

Rate this topic

95 posts in this topic

Found a whole surf bag full of lures in Chatham a couple of

seasons ago... put it in a Lost and Found at a center nearby.

They cleaned out the Lost and Found and told me to take the bag

out at the end of the season.  Wish I could have found the owner.

I've only found a few over the years. Last year found a 17F and 15S SP lost in the same tangled mess during low tide. 15 had no hooks and was probably there a few months, the 17 looked like it was only there for a day or 2. This spring found one of the 6.5" yozuri mag darters practically brand new washed up. 2 weeks ago found a sebile magic swimmer sans hooks. 

There is a spot/point that I like to fish in the Spring that has a piling/channel marker at 12 o'clock .  The area has a lot of current and people often get their bucktails and plugs hung up on the marker.  It is not reachable from shore.....but can be accessed by boat.   I often stop there on my boat on my way out of my marina and harvest what I find on that piling.  Its good for at least 10 bucktails per year....I've also grabbed a mag darter, a bomber, swim shads, and some jig heads with various soft plastics from that piling.  I have to admit a few of the bucktails I harvest each year are ones I have lost to the piling while fishing the spot at night.

13 hours ago, sauerkraut said:

A good post for this boring winter season.  Since the advent of braided lines, whereby a surf caster can use 30-50 lb breaking strength and still be able to cast... good plug finds are almost a thing of the past. 

When I was a kid back in the mono days I used to religiously hit the jetties on blow out low tides with a knife, scissors and an empty surf bag

I'd go home with a full bag almost every time during the spring and fall runs

Braid and no more jetties has made that a thing of the past (not that I'm about to go climbing around in a jetty anymore) 

Found this one.

Whats interesting about it is that it was mine to begin with.  Snapped it off shortly after this fish was landed on 10/10.  Found it on the same beach 10/27.  Probably not a huge coincidence considering it was the same general area but still pretty cool.  Third time this scenario has happened to me over the past 20 years or so.

2215DA3A-FB01-465A-9739-561DACB2A220.jpeg

FAB05BDF-E153-4922-8B6F-07D1D549A2F0.jpeg

Ive found so many different plugs and gear. My favorite finds were stainless Orvis pliers that ive used for the past 4 year, a 60lb boga that i still use, and the lucky plug that sits in my truck for good vibes.

Found a nice tica/penn combo last week and i was able to get it back to the original owner

Not salt, but...

I was fishing Big Eddy for LL Salmon & Brook Trout almost 30 years ago when I spotted a pair of needle-nose pliers in a foot of water.  I asked around the campground if anyone had lost anything, but no one that I spoke with had.

They are still in my electrician's bag and have been used regularly for decades.

I found these walking the beach in the last year or two.  I have plans to install new hooks, but I don’t think that I will repaint them.

76560671-8C6B-482B-92FE-064520C63909.jpeg

Last spring I was fishingSPs for schoolie bass with my brother  a school of blues came by and wanted only metal.  I tied on a 1.5 oz kastmaster my grandfather had given me and landed a few before i got bit off. I was bummed that I lost one of the last lures he had given me. 

Fast forward 3 1/2 weeks forward.  I am walking off of the bayside of the inlet where I had lost it and a kid is snagged on a common cable hangup.   I had waders on so i offered to get him unsnagged.  I had to cut the line on him to get it unwrapped.   As im walking back to him I drop it in the wash and lean down to pick it up and saw a dressed bucktail sitting out of the sand. lean down and picked up the Kastmaster I had lost a few weeks before. 

Promptly ran off the beach and called my brother to tell him about it.  Lure is now on my desk at work and wont be fished again.

Cool thread and finds.

Not east coast related, but my family used to do a ton of beachcombing in the winter on the west coast in the 60's and 70's.

We were mainly looking looking for japanese glass fishing balls, but found a ton of different salmon plugs.

I wish I now had pictures of all of them. We used a number of them to catch salmon on in Puget Sound.

With the current lack of salmon and seasons, I doubt you'd find many plugs today.

SF