BearAssHippo

Plugs found on the beach

Rate this topic

95 posts in this topic

46 mins ago, tomkaz said:

Three weekends ago on a beach in Jupiter FL. Fairly large yet rigged with heavy mono leader. Cleaned up, dehooked, single in-line hook w swivel on rear for blacktip shark migration. 

6EF94FE5-3257-44EB-84FA-9E8CB8D06A05.jpeg.e541971efe0ea9f297c9a1fac6a83a24.jpeg

66827C4F-0DD8-44C0-A5CA-243215BEE544.jpeg.fb23015eea4d1ecbb0c47c1a2de73ac9.jpeg

That Looks like a Marc Fisher popper. Nice find

46 mins ago, tomkaz said:

Three weekends ago on a beach in Jupiter FL. Fairly large yet rigged with heavy mono leader. Cleaned up, dehooked, single in-line hook w swivel on rear for blacktip shark migration. 

6EF94FE5-3257-44EB-84FA-9E8CB8D06A05.jpeg.e541971efe0ea9f297c9a1fac6a83a24.jpeg

66827C4F-0DD8-44C0-A5CA-243215BEE544.jpeg.fb23015eea4d1ecbb0c47c1a2de73ac9.jpeg

What do you suppose the length and weight is on that guy? It’s a good looking plug even with a bit of “character” from previous use. 

10 mins ago, PlumFishing said:

Found this at lake edge this past spring while trout fishing. Very strange as it had no hooks and an odd swivel/clip setup. 

F2EB7471-4ED6-43D4-9D7D-D76B21FD2E6C.jpeg

I dont know why but every lure I find is rigged "weird". I've found them directly tied to braid, attached to all shorts of strange clips, snaps, etc, utilising 100+ # mono leaders or with an odd assortment of bobbers, sinkers, wire and three way rigs.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Before I really knew much about plugs. I remember a guy casting off a lefty plug and he said anyone who hooks it with their plug he will give them 30 bucks for it. That plug slowly floated out into sea. Later that day I found a super strike bottle and I knew someday I’d get a good fish on it. Only took a few years but I got one. Being like 16 at the time I thought I hit the jackpot when I found that plug 

27FC0ED8-1B5C-4269-B55C-E96030AEF7E5.jpeg

Edited by Mojoboy

7 mins ago, Mojoboy said:

Before I really knew much about plugs. I remember a guy casting off a lefty plug and he said anyone who hooks it with their plug he will give them 30 bucks for it. That plug slowly floated out into sea. Later that day I found a super strike bottle and I knew someday I’d get a good fish on it. Only took a few years but I got one. Being like 16 at the time I thought I hit the jackpot when I found that plug 

27FC0ED8-1B5C-4269-B55C-E96030AEF7E5.jpeg

That’s a great story and a fine looking fish. 

Thanks for sharing. 

I can't count the number of times I've seen 2 and 3 oz pyramid sinkers and huge catfish hooks in the trees on little mudhole ponds of nothing but bluegills and tiny bass.  The tackle some people throw perplexes me.  I found a little 1/4 oz kastmaster save my fishing trip, brought far too heavy tackle for the 10-12" schoolies that were present.

In the early '60s we used to go camping in the California Gold Country, at a place called Strawberry Lake. I had some sort of spincast setup, probably a Zebco knockoff, and would practice casting using a rubber coated sinker that was a two-toned (green and white) teardrop shape.

Man, I loved playing around with that rig, but I got stupid one day and instead of casting in the big lawn at the campground, I tossed it into the very weedy lake. Snap! Lost it almost immediately upon retrieve when it snagged. Was I disappointed or what!

The next year, we went back to that same spot, and I was going after one of the little catfish, when I snagged a clump of weeds. My dad had me play it back in slowly, instead of horseing it, and there tangled up in the weeds was my casting weight. At such a young age, I didn't know that sort of thing was possible, so it seemed almost miraculous to me. The eye was a bit rusty, but it cleaned up fine.

That weight is still in one of my tackle boxes, over 55 years later.....

1 hour ago, Aaron Barmmer said:

Found this in brand new condition in the sea weed 2 years ago.  Beached many 40”+ fish on it since then.  Still one of my go too pencils 

07BD7362-7BE9-4B42-8B63-23C1C8B087A3.jpeg

Guppy Jobo. Found one last year in the riprap on the canal in perfect condition. Great plug!

28 mins ago, PlumFishing said:

Guppy Jobo. Found one last year in the riprap on the canal in perfect condition. Great plug!

Yes.  I’ve had dozens of guppy pencils and this one works the best and still does.  

Not a valuable find but a decent story nonetheless. 

A few days ago while fishing for rats out front, I make a cast with an ava27 and teaser setup. Mid cast, a gull comes flying by. I feel tension on the line then it goes limp. I make a gentle pull, and the bird is still on the line. He struggles for a second or so, still flying, the line goes completely limp. He’s free so I reel in my line. As I’m starting to tie a new rig, my buddy asks what color is your line. Blue camo I say. He reels in my full leader setup and the frayed end of my braid. Nice to know the gull didn’t get tangled and should be free of my line.

I tie up that same leader and keep fishing. My buddy at one point starts to play around and tries heaving a cast pendulum style. His jig plops off right in the wash. I go looking for it and think I found it. I pulled up a 1 maybe 1.5 oz pink epoxy jig. It wasn’t what he was throwing but, hey. Better than nothing. 

He he saved my rig and it an hour later I got him something to replace his lost jig.