BearAssHippo

Plugs found on the beach

Rate this topic

95 posts in this topic

I know a lady who gave a guy a bucketful on their first date. She used to walk the beach everyday in Mtk. And would find em. They are still married, over 40 plus years. What a keeper 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Well, maybe not one I found...but I got a good story.

I was jetty fishing on the rocks at Indian River Inlet one mid morning, casting plugs and bucktails, working my way around an old timer nearby fishing for Tog on the jetty with a bucket of green crabs.

The old guy had lost a few sinkers in the rocks, and eventually pulled up a big hunk of jumbled grass, weeds and fishing line with a rusty bucktail imbedded in it.

Suddenly a bunch of bluefish came crashing through the north side of the jetty, heading towards the beach.

I threw a couple casts, hooked up every time.

The old guy, sat and watched this blitz with envy, as he was only prepared to bait fish for Tog, and had no lures with him.

But not wanting to miss out on the bluefish action, he yanked the rusty buck tail out of the mess he pulled up, tied it on, and immediately got into the action.

We all had a good laugh with him with that one.

Edited by Speckhunter

Posted (edited) · Report post

Here's a handeful of the plugs  I've found. Many have had hooks/rings replaced and get fished.

20181205_220300.jpg.6698d6be74d461e125a958e8df996f55.jpg

Edited by Sandbar1

A good post for this boring winter season.  Since the advent of braided lines, whereby a surf caster can use 30-50 lb breaking strength and still be able to cast... good plug finds are almost a thing of the past.  Remember:  In those old days, we often had to make a strategic decision to cast 15-20 lb. mono for distance, or, sacrifice distance for some strength with (ugh) casting 30 lb. mono.

When I was a high schooler, I used to walk the fronts of Squibnockett and Gay Head, after the end of the MV B&B fish derby, and especially after the first big storm... and confidentally expect to find dozens of good finds-- especially Atom 40's.  

This post reminds that I often have a dark black/gold Stetzko Needlefish in my bag for certain conditions, which I found up in Race Point more than 15 years ago.  I catch some decent fish on it yearly.  This past season, it took my largest surf bluefish-- a 36 inch fish.  I only caught 3 (bycatch) bluefish this entire season past.

Three weekends ago on a beach in Jupiter FL. Fairly large yet rigged with heavy mono leader. Cleaned up, dehooked, single in-line hook w swivel on rear for blacktip shark migration. 

6EF94FE5-3257-44EB-84FA-9E8CB8D06A05.jpeg.e541971efe0ea9f297c9a1fac6a83a24.jpeg

66827C4F-0DD8-44C0-A5CA-243215BEE544.jpeg.fb23015eea4d1ecbb0c47c1a2de73ac9.jpeg

Found a Hab's Stubby Needle on the rocks 2 years ago.  Unfortunately I pulled a swivel through my guides earlier this year without realizing and sent that thing flying back out to where it came.  Less notably, Shads Bombers, an SP, and a few other cheap small plugs. 

Have a couple SP's in rotation that I found. One new style bomber. Found a SS little neck in perfect shape this year, and 2 years ago found the large sized Shimano Orca pencil. Caught fish on all but the Shimano so far.

I found this little gem of a popper this past spring. Looks brand new, like it fell out of someone's bag. I posted a thread here to see if anyone can id it, but nobody came up with anything.

0418181854a.thumb.jpg.3043c491c86a4d564172ef4d6cf21e74.jpg

0418181854.thumb.jpg.7894103ea999a65bbff10aaab06d4e8c.jpg