LarryJ

Subaru in the Sand?

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

For what its worth, I've driven my 2011 Outback on the OBX on the north beach down to the point...well almost to the point, the wife doesn't like fishing, so driving alone I didn't want to push it and end up digging myself out - by myself....and at one point the beach got real narrow near the point those years. 

As you will read here and elsewhere...the main thing to do is AIRDOWN, and don't put yourself in everyone's deep ruts in the sand along the way if you don't have good clearance underneath, -  which this Outback lacks IMHO.

I'd rather have a real 4x4,  but this Outback was a compromise with the wife - for gas mileage and ride. Since I have a daily driver (Toyota Avalon) for business, she has to use the Outback when needed for her part time work. We did get the manual shift. 

The other challenge was a rod rack..I had to jerry rig this as there are no good hard points on the front.

I've since switched to a rod rack on the roof.

Haven't had the Outback on the soft stuff at Chincoteaque….just haven't had a reason to go back up there.

My experience at Chincoteague was with a Honda CRV...got stuck my first outing, by myself - no one around either.

I lightened her up (emptied out the cargo in back) ...dug around the tires - got the board out and drove right out of it.

Subaru Outback 2011.jpg

Edited by Speckhunter

I’ve been reading up on this quite a bit myself

as i have a 2017 outback I’m anxious to try in the nj sand

air down is key

Traction control off ( if you have it on your Subaru)

and if your have the auto/manual trans, using the manual option

28 mins ago, bkupmstr said:

I’ve been reading up on this quite a bit myself

as i have a 2017 outback I’m anxious to try in the nj sand

air down is key

Traction control off ( if you have it on your Subaru)

and if your have the auto/manual trans, using the manual option

I don't have one.  Researching them for possible purchase.

28 mins ago, bkupmstr said:

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, LarryJ said:

I don't have one.  Researching them for possible purchase.

Check out this site

Off road Subarus dot com

Edited by bkupmstr

Yes, the Outback will handle Assateague. I got one this year when I had to replace my Xterra and I've take the Outback several times down to the state line on the MD side of Assateague so far.

Stock model, aired down, and traction control off, it rode smooth and jumped in and out of the ruts without any problems. It does kick up a lot of sand though in the rear. I washed a lot of dry sand out from rear bumper. And you have to pay  a little more attention to clearance than a regular 4x4, but not much. Just avoid driving over wood or anything like that that maybe laying between the tracks so it doesn't knock the bottom.   

Otherwise, I thought it was a more comfortable ride down the beach than my old Xterra was.

The Subys have better clearance than many of the more popular beach buggy trucks. In addition, the Subarus 4WD system is much more efficient and practical than most of then newer AWD vehicles. I won't disagree that in some cases where ruts are extremely deep and soft sand abundant, you could have issues. For the most part, The Subarus aired down to 15psi are fine.

I drove a 2001 Toyota Highlander on beaches from NC to Cape Cod, stuck twice in 16 years, both times my fault. Then a Subaru Forester for 3 years , never got stuck and preferred it over the Highlander. Most folks on this site like big gas guzzlers for their beach buggies, they have their place but some us are concerned with gas mileage and using the vehicle for other purposes besides beach driving.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

I’m thinking of a forester or outback once my 07 Rav can’t be revived. From my research, answers range from “Subarus put  “x” 4x4 to shame on the beach” to “you will inevitably get stranded”. I’m sure the true answer is somewhere in between.

For specifically beach driving, would you guys recommend the forester or outback? I definitely think the outback is a better looking car, but the forester would save a few bucks and may have better entry angles.

With the amount of people you see digging themselves out of the deep tracks on IBSP, unless you've got something with decent clearance or you stay clear of the ruts (good luck when going on and off the beach), I'd guess it doesn't matter what you're driving... you're going to get stuck.  

I'll jinx myself and say that I've been very lucky thus far.  *knock wood*

22 hours ago, C.Robin said:

I definitely think the outback is a better looking car, but the forester would save a few bucks and may have better entry angles.

Have you seen the new 2019 Forester Sport , it's a lot better looking than the fuggly predecessor. I test drove one and with the exception of a little road wind noise I liked it. 

IMG_0327.JPG

Edited by connman

26 mins ago, connman said:

Have you seen the new 2019 Forester Sport , it's a lot better looking than the fuggly predecessor. I test drove one and with the exception of a little road wind noise I liked it. 

IMG_0327.JPG

Looks good.  I ended up buying a '97 tacoma.  Now I'm searching for fuel-miser car to go with it.   

26 mins ago, connman said:

IMG_0327.JPG

That one looks pretty sweet. I certainly don’t think foresters are ugly, but I like  the wagon look of the outbacks. To save a few thousand bucks though, I would probably go with the forester.

By the time I’m in the market for one, they could both look completely different. My Rav is currently at 140k, I could see it lasting to ~200k before repairs aren’t worth it.