JohnP

Do you think there’s value in a company striving to have a diverse work force?

Rate this topic

111 posts in this topic

It can be a great asset as long as there's no protected classes or favoritism.  Different perspectives come up with more ideas.  We use demographic data to see if there's communities we're not mining for talent.  Then we hire the best.  Hiring substandard people to create diversity is just dumb.

No, I think like minded folks tend to work better together. Diversity is what consultants are for.... :D 

4 mins ago, J said:

No, I think like minded folks tend to work better together. Diversity is what consultants are for.... :D 

This is true....who would want to build a company with people who don't agree with you.  That's got to be the dumbest business model ever.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

As long as the people hired can do the job requirements they were hired for, sure diversity works. Ya hire folks to do a job, right? Good motivated folks come from all walks of life, are any age or gender. Nothing ventured, nothing gained:howdy:

Edited by jimmy z

If diverse means skin color/male,female has to come into play first, then no to it. If diverse means different qualifications are meet to further strengthen a company, then yes. 

Just now, Nessmuk said:

It can be a great asset as long as there's no protected classes or favoritism.  Different perspectives come up with more ideas.  

Yup, as long as they meet the requirements for the position offered and don't need special protections because of their condition I'm good with it.

But I will say it can put great stress on the workforce because you need to walk on eggshells trying to avoid saying anything that might land you up in HR.

Depends on the job.

If the job requires some creativity, having different view points can be an asset.

But, if the job requires team work, and everybody moving and acting as one, diversity can lead to problems if everyone is not with the program.

Diversity of thoughts and ideas, not necessarily skin tone and gender.

As stated, diversity is overrated. 

The best qualified to do the job is paramount.

If those candidates are diverse, great. If not, great. It’s supposed to be about what’s best for the company. Not what’s PC. 

Personally I've never worked anywhere that wasn't diverse, same thing when I served in the USCG.

NPCOP, have you worked anywhere that wasn't diverse?  If  so, why did you accept such a racist job?  

Posted (edited) · Report post

We lost productivity and eroded competitive advantage for decades, when the government forced companies participating in government contracts to achieve diversity 'targets', rather than hire and promote the most qualified people. If that 'most qualified' person is a minority, they should be hired.

What happened to productivity in China and Japan while we spent the 70's to present time chasing diversity targets ?........rhetorical question.

Edited by fish643