golden

Winter Trout 2018/2019

Rate this topic

91 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, golden said:

Once again, the state is flooding the ponds with an absurd amount of rainbows..........

It seemed that the northeast section of Mass didn't get stocked as heavily last year compared to years past. I always thought we could use a hatchery up here.

I've always preferred mini-marshmallows as bait for trout.  $1.79 for a big bag and it keeps the kids (and adults) happy when fishing is slow. 

download.jpg

36 mins ago, Captain Tuttle said:

I've always preferred mini-marshmallows as bait for trout. 

When I was a kid we'd use kernel corn and sometimes we'd put a mini-marshmallow above and below the kernels. 

To this day, canned corn gives me flashbacks to fishing for 'bows when I was a kid.

40 mins ago, zak-striper said:

When I was a kid we'd use kernel corn and sometimes we'd put a mini-marshmallow above and below the kernels. 

To this day, canned corn gives me flashbacks to fishing for 'bows when I was a kid.

Corn and Marshmallows float, so they are great when pond fishing because it makes it easy for the trout to see/find/eat.   

I was flyfishing a heavily stocked trout pond and watched a guy using power bait limit out in one hour. I now equate power bait to fishing with dynamite. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Planning to take my 5yr old for some stocked trout this weekend.  Will probably just dunk power bait and maybe toss a spinner.  Two questions... what length rod and action are you using?  What size spinning reel as well?

Edited by frezzy

1 hour ago, frezzy said:

Planning to take my 5yr old for some stocked trout this weekend.  Will probably just dunk power bait and maybe toss a spinner.  Two questions... what length rod and action are you using?  What size spinning reel as well?

Try an light or ultralight 6' rod.  No need to splurge on crazy gear.  You could use a 1000 (6lb mono) - 3000(8lb mono) inexpensive shimano reel with that, or a similarly sized.

5 hours ago, golden said:

Try an light or ultralight 6' rod.  No need to splurge on crazy gear.  You could use a 1000 (6lb mono) - 3000(8lb mono) inexpensive shimano reel with that, or a similarly sized.

Thanks, Golden.

Posted (edited) · Report post

A trout pond near me finally iced out. It was 95% ice last Sunday, the 14th. Yesterday, the 24th, it was 95% open.

I fished yesterday between 5:30 - 7:30pm. I finally got my first brown from this location! A nice, fat one.

Technically it's spring but it still feels like a winter trout with a little snow and ice still out there.  :)

20190324_180031.jpg.189e07c2b0a8c21742c6c8a7c3538e46.jpg

20190324_175710.jpg.a0c06cbf4a7351f6b4be124ccf8fb408.jpg

Edited by zak-striper

Did really well this morning, landing 8 or so with the fly rod. Missed a bunch of others. A midge hatch had them all fired up. One brown, the rest rainbows. A great day. 

92FC53AC-684B-4452-B05B-C88E89962932.jpeg

CFDC8C3D-8438-4DB0-91B6-145910409ED9.jpeg

On 3/25/2019 at 9:05 PM, Seadogg said:

Did really well this morning, landing 8 or so with the fly rod. Missed a bunch of others. A midge hatch had them all fired up. One brown, the rest rainbows. A great day. 

92FC53AC-684B-4452-B05B-C88E89962932.jpeg

CFDC8C3D-8438-4DB0-91B6-145910409ED9.jpeg

nicely done! I would like to get into fly fishing.  I got skunked the last two times i went out 

I had a few tough days last week, myself. Despite them having stocked the pond twice, I got skunked two days in a row. Last weekend’s good weather seems to have gotten them fired up a bit. Much better this week.

14 mins ago, Seadogg said:

I had a few tough days last week, myself. Despite them having stocked the pond twice, I got skunked two days in a row. Last weekend’s good weather seems to have gotten them fired up a bit. Much better this week.

Lots of guys got skunked LAST weekend.  I wish I could have gotten out Sunday afternoon.