golden

Winter Trout 2018/2019

Rate this topic

85 posts in this topic

54 mins ago, macattack893 said:

Anyone have any info on ice in Plymouth area? With all this warm weather and rain today thinking it will kill a lot of the ice.  Any chances there could be open water again tomorrow/this weekend?

Let’s hope so. 

On 1/15/2019 at 9:33 PM, Somethingsfishy said:

Haven’t fished all the water above but of those I have I would try Millers, east branch Swift, Squannacook and Nissitissit. 

When I still lived in Worc the east branch of the Swift was one of my fav rivers. Spent hundreds of hours fishing there.

Last spring during turkey season I went there and took a walk, checking out all my old haunts. Kind of depressed to see all my old pools and runs were all clogged with logs.  Most were unfishable.

18 hours ago, macattack893 said:

Anyone have any info on ice in Plymouth area? With all this warm weather and rain today thinking it will kill a lot of the ice.  Any chances there could be open water again tomorrow/this weekend?

Had lots of open water in Wareham this morning

It's been almost two months since I wet a line. During my last outing in early January at a trout pond near me I ended up catching a 4lb larry rather than a 'bow or brown.

20190106_153904.jpg.d2dbe831f42f29255b389c0d12d47b92.jpg

The 10 day forecast sucks. Looks like it'll another two weeks at the minimum before I wet a line again. The trout ponds near me are still iced over.

I probably have a better shot at holdover stripers before I'll be able to catch another trout. :)

Screenshot_20190301-102210_Chrome.jpg.fed927a4752f9a3938f1284f9ef9f270.jpg

Has anyone ever had any luck (trying not to be too specific) with any ponds in plymouth ma ? looking to fish lures.  but have anyone ever had any luck with worms in these southshore ponds ??

2 hours ago, KujoRasta said:

Has anyone ever had any luck (trying not to be too specific) with any ponds in plymouth ma ? looking to fish lures.  but have anyone ever had any luck with worms in these southshore ponds ??

Only one way to find out, man. BTW, there’s a reason the worm is the world’s most universally recognized bait for fish. 

5 hours ago, KujoRasta said:

Yes. Powerbait is more effective than worms

Edited by jmarino1432

Powerbait is definitely more productive until the state stocks Browns and brookies anyway. I find the early rainbows really love the dough until about a month into it when worms floated off the bottom are a good option as well. If you want to actively cast a Thomas buoyant fished slow is a good choice