golden

Winter Trout 2018/2019

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

Not in MA right now but figured I’d post this here anyways.

I’m more of a bass and striper fisherman, not a trout guy, but I’ve been home in greater NYC area for my college winter break, have had a lot of free time and decided I wanted to learn how to trout fish. 

Went out and bought myself some trout lures, 6 lb line and an ultralite combo and was off and running. Have been fishing in various NY area streams almost every day, slowly figuring it out, catching a 9 incher here and a 10 incher there. 

Thursday I was fishing with a buddy at a relatively small stream, we got pretty much skunked but I had a tank (at least for a small river like that) take a swing at my roostertail at this specific hard to reach bend in the stream. Today went back to that river with my dad, and almosttttt decided against bushwhacking back to that river bend, but sure enough first cast landed this beauty after a nice fight. Confident it was the same fish. Prob 16 inches or so and healthy/beautiful. Definitely a rewarding moment and an inspiration to keep trout fishing. 

F7EFA0F0-6946-49CB-A5FA-2BB7CEFFD246.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey guys, 

I've been reading the forum for a while soaking in all of the information.  Just recently signed up! 

With that being said I am new to fishing in New England.  I moved here about 2 years ago from San Diego.  Did a lot of bay and surf fishing on the west coast and really want to get back into it here.  

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone trout fishing at Houghton's Pond in the winter? also wondering how the winter trout bite is in streams and rivers here in Massachusetts? I do not have a fly rod yet so i would not be fly fishing.  Any tips ?

Thanks guys!

-Bryce

Edited by KujoRasta

Im not familiar with the pond but trout can be reliable caught in many ponds and streams in Ma. in winter.

Either open water or ice fishing, both are legal and both productive. 

A lot has to do with your skill level.

There is highly technical winter flyfishing for highly educated trout in demanding stream setting. 

Or there is soaking worms in a local pond for freshly fall stocked rainbows.

What are you familiar with?

Thanks  Mikez2.  I have never fly fished but will definitely give it a go this year.  Iv mostly fished for trout on the west coast with lures and worms and have had good luck with those.  I will just have to get my lines wet and see how it goes! 

Check out the variety of kettle ponds on the cape - lots of trout, and nice sized, to be caught there.

1 hour ago, golden said:

Check out the variety of kettle ponds on the cape - lots of trout, and nice sized, to be caught there.

Awesome thanks for the advice.  I was planning on giving them a try soon, I'v heard good things.  

Has anyone been there recently, do you know if a lot of them have frozen over? I live in quincy and just don't want to drive all the way down there for nothing if they are frozen..  sorry for all the questions, i appreciate everyones feedback! 

Check out Massachusetts' DFW web site.  There is a lot of good information there.  Here is their definition of major rivers which are open to fishing year round.  You can fish for trout with conventional gear.  I would recommend a spoon (Acme) or spinner (Silver Fox).

Major rivers: Childs, Coonamessett, Deerfield, Farmington, Green (Colrain), Green (Great Barrington), Ipswich, Jones, Mashpee, Millers, Nissitissit, North (Colrain), North (West Branch), Parker, Quaboag, Quinapoxet, Quinebaug, Seven Mile, Santuit, Scorton Creek, Shawsheen, Squannacook, Stillwater (Sterling, Princeton), Swift (East Branch), Swift (Winsor Dam to Ware River, except as posted), Tully (East and West Branches), Ware, Ware (East Branch), Westfield (all branches).

On 1/14/2019 at 11:01 AM, KujoRasta said:

Hey guys, 

I've been reading the forum for a while soaking in all of the information.  Just recently signed up! 

With that being said I am new to fishing in New England.  I moved here about 2 years ago from San Diego.  Did a lot of bay and surf fishing on the west coast and really want to get back into it here.  

Thanks guys!

-Bryce

Welcome. 

I lived in Huntington Beach and worked in San Diego. You will find the fresh water and surf fishing here to be 1 million times better here in MA. 

Long range Tuna is better out of Fisherman's Landing though. 

On ‎01‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:27 PM, ged said:

Welcome. 

I lived in Huntington Beach and worked in San Diego. You will find the fresh water and surf fishing here to be 1 million times better here in MA. 

Long range Tuna is better out of Fisherman's Landing though. 

Awesome, I am looking forward to it.  The Saltwater fishing in San Diego was really fun, I never got skunked.  Freshwater fishing in Southern California isn't great so I am really looking forward to catch some trout this year.

I have the itch so I may try and cast a line somewhere Saturday morning.  Just trying to figure out where at the moment.  My biggest fear is that I show up to a pond and it is frozen.