golden

Winter Trout 2018/2019

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

On 12/5/2018 at 3:06 PM, golden said:

Some great trout fishing can be had through open water and the ice in the winter, from the Cape ponds to the rivers and watersheds of central MA.  Many cool mornings with a warm cup of coffee have been spent catching big holdover fish on the Cape, rainbows, big browns eating shiners, etc...  Let's see what you guys come up with this season!  Here's a couple from the last few years.

1500879_10206506608838550_7326280235939432265_o.jpg

422635_3069464970174_191480034_n.jpg

Nice:)

Just now, bob_G said:

What kind of fly is that?

It’s something I’m in the process of developing. Basically a rabbit strip fly with a foam head. Meant to be fished on a sinking line. 

14 mins ago, Seadogg said:

It’s something I’m in the process of developing. Basically a rabbit strip fly with a foam head. Meant to be fished on a sinking line. 

Sort of like a booby fly?

Just now, bob_G said:

Sort of like a booby fly?

Yea but I’m going for something a bit more “fishy” in appearance. After a few prototypes this seems to be a good formula. 

Many of Tony Stezcko's largest trout were caught on boobys. I tied some up and made a real effort, but had no luck. Like you said, its all approach. I wish I'd taken Tony up on his many offers to learn.

I did really well with it last winter, but after ice out. The fish were a lot more active than what I’ve seen recently. Gonna keep at it though.