golden

Winter Trout 2018/2019

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

Circle hooks dont make any difference at all with trout. Still gut hooked all the time. It's all in how the fish is handled and unhooked. Most people just jam pliers down the throat and rip.

Sorry to disagree they do make a difference.A couple of guys I know do use circle hooks and their catches are almost always in the corner of the mouth.I do agree with you about the handling.I just wish the fish was harvested instead of wasted.

8 mins ago, theshadow said:

Sorry to disagree they do make a difference.A couple of guys I know do use circle hooks and their catches are almost always in the corner of the mouth.I do agree with you about the handling.I just wish the fish was harvested instead of wasted.

I used circles with power bait shiners and worms and after probably 30 fish they were still all in the gut. I probably only let the fish eat it for about 10 seconds.

Had the hook pull on a large brown at dusk last Sunday just as I was getting ready to dip the net in the fish pushed one more time and the size 16 midge emerger let go... doh

Nice fight just no photo.

6 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

I used circles with power bait shiners and worms and after probably 30 fish they were still all in the gut. I probably only let the fish eat it for about 10 seconds.

Different results from the same method.Personnally haven't fished bait in over 20yrs.

I get plenty of bows on the gold kastmaster during very cold days too, with browns.  Just slow it down..

And don't forget these little brookies.  many native fish in the creeks and rivers in central mass, and the watersheds of the big reservoirs.

IMG_8305.JPG

brkkk.JPG

9 hours ago, theshadow said:

Different results from the same method.Personnally haven't fished bait in over 20yrs.

I 've had varied results over the years.

For live bait fish after big mouthed targets, (freshwater bass, stripers etc), I only use circle hooks.

However, I have cut way back on any kind of live bait, pretty much down to ice tipups only.

I completely gave up trying circle hooks through the ice. I'd estimate a 20% hookup rate, if that. 

I concluded the vertical presentation of ice fishing does not give circle hook set.

I also abandoned circle hooks for powerbait. I'd put that at zero % hook up. The shape of a hunk of PB needs a sharp hook point protruding. It simply buries the hook point on a circle. 

The only time I use worms is blown up crawlers. 

Besides being very difficult to thread onto a circle hook, in order for the worm to float, the circle hook has to be very small and light wire.

With the small hook and sit and wait presentation, I'd guess a very similar rate of gut hooking to regular hooks.

I also find once a circle is gut hooked, it's more difficult to extract than a regular hook.

Not to condemn circles, they work as advertised, but they are not a cure all. Not always the good choice. 

YMMV

11 mins ago, golden said:

I get plenty of bows on the gold kastmaster during very cold days too, with browns.  Just slow it down..

And don't forget these little brookies.  many native fish in the creeks and rivers in central mass, and the watersheds of the big reservoirs.

IMG_8305.JPG

brkkk.JPG

Sure, bows will hit a spoon once in awhile. 

After many years of going between bait and metal in ponds with both, browns (and brookies) like fish meat more than bows.

I  get most browns on spoons in open water, 99% on shiners ice time.

I get 95% rainbows on crawlers, PB or floating meal worms, 90% worms under ice.

Many days of ice fishing I can predict which kind of trout has tripped my tip up based on which bait.

Once in awhile one or the other surprise me. 

The wild brookies in my secret streams are too small and fragile and rare to fish. Even wading the tiny streams would be harmful. 

I watch them and photos when I can.

I'd love to find a larger, fishable population. My fishing roots come from native wild brookies.

26805002_10213124810988482_1575991816847187308_n.jpg

27368859_10213239747581825_8753293310329814185_o.jpg

15578928_10209789592370101_3350361253601908177_n.jpg

11 hours ago, mikez2 said:

The wild brookies in my secret streams are too small and fragile and rare to fish. Even wading the tiny streams would be harmful. 

I watch them and photos when I can.

15578928_10209789592370101_3350361253601908177_n.jpg

This picture is great - is it yours? If so how did you take it?

I believe the issue you guys may be seeing with the circle hooks stem from  offset circle hooks instead of inline circle hooks. I used to use the offsets and all of the fish caught were guthooked. 

57 mins ago, joem said:

This picture is great - is it yours? If so how did you take it?

Yes. Took it years ago in my aquarium. 

It was an old antique Yashica film 35 mm, all manual settings. Before digital days.

I built a dual light bar with 2 opposing flashes offset at angles to avoid reflection.

I don't recall what lens or setting.