golden

Winter Trout 2018/2019

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Some great trout fishing can be had through open water and the ice in the winter, from the Cape ponds to the rivers and watersheds of central MA.  Many cool mornings with a warm cup of coffee have been spent catching big holdover fish on the Cape, rainbows, big browns eating shiners, etc...  Let's see what you guys come up with this season!  Here's a couple from the last few years.

1500879_10206506608838550_7326280235939432265_o.jpg

422635_3069464970174_191480034_n.jpg

I'll be hitting the trout ponds starting this weekend until they ice over. 

I got some nice 'bows last December until the deep freeze of Jan - Feb froze everything up tight. Then I started catching some more after the March thaw.

I never got into ice fishing. When I was growing up I skiied and played hockey instead.

Some of last winter's 'bows.

20180406_181459.jpg.bd7fff182752506ba231a83781ef6af4.jpg

20171210_161517.jpg.d86c719252d9eec3c741c3760926898a.jpg

20180401_174413.jpg.4bd6ce9cd4a83b39e20dff49392e7122.jpg

I'm really disappointed they didn't put browns in the good kettle ponds near me.

Don't get me wrong, I like and target rainbow too.

Absolutely perfect ice fishing fish. Hardly seems fair. Luckily alot of guys just jig or use shiners down deep. That leaves all those holdovers 3 feet under the ice for me.

But why I like browns in the ponds this time of year is I'm not motivated to drown bait and sit there.

I like just a small box of spoons, no other gear, and just walk and cast. 

Rainbows just don't like spoons the way browns do.

Very frustrating when a rainbow pond goes off on a midge hatch and your slinging metal.

You never knew there were so many trout. But no hits.

Browns get that way too at times, but even then the spoon draws an anger hit or two.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Anybody ever fish beaver ponds?

Many years ago before the beaver came, we had some very cold winters where deep pools in brooks would have safe ice for foolish young ice fishermen. I caught nice holdover browns and brookies thru ice from brooks.

A couple times I also got beautiful wild native brookies in tiny streams ice fishing on tiny man made ponds that were just like beaver ponds.

Funny but for whatever reason I never have tried to find fishable beaver ponds around here. I had kinda moved on from stocked brooks over to the kettle ponds by the time the beaver came. 

If we get the right weather this winter. I might try it. Beaver ponds will be maxed full of water this year.

Edited by mikez2

1 hour ago, Aaron Barmmer said:

February. On a rapala husky jerk.    I trout fish all winter almost every day after work unless it’s under 30 degrees 

A33F3E4D-8753-4A05-B8C4-0DD3C62BA7C6.jpeg

Beautiful brownie

1 hour ago, Aaron Barmmer said:

February. On a rapala husky jerk.    I trout fish all winter almost every day after work unless it’s under 30 degrees 

Envy!

Are all you guys getting those browns on the Cape?

Or even just region if you prefer.

Bait folks,please use circle hooks.I'm out pretty much daily and finding dead fish more and more.After opening them up for a possible cause most have rips deep in the throat.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, theshadow said:

Bait folks,please use circle hooks.I'm out pretty much daily and finding dead fish more and more.After opening them up for a possible cause most have rips deep in the throat.

Circle hooks dont make any difference at all with trout. Still gut hooked all the time. It's all in how the fish is handled and unhooked. Most people just jam pliers down the throat and rip.

Edited by SalmonAndStriper Stalker

I'm thinking of saying EFF the rest of hunting season and just go trout fishing.

Okay maybe trout fishing in the AM and deer hunting in the PM or vice versa.

I kinda caught the bug last spring.

6 hours ago, Aaron Barmmer said:

That’s a damn nice fish. The ol’ Husky Jerk is a classic.