Bigfish25

The Best Flies

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

TGS

Wonderful post, great info. Thanks for posting. I really need to try tying some conomos at some point. Doubt mine will look as good as yours though. I like a lot that you've applied UV a bit behind the EZ body to minimize fouling. Right now I've been tying flies on the heaviest wire worm hooks I can find, to reduce or eliminate fouling of hollow fleyes and also to make flies weedless so when there's muck in the water at night you're not constantly cleaning them off. I was hoping to give them a try next season. You fish salt way more than I do though. Maybe you'd be interested in trying them if I sent you some? Most are around 8" long on a 7/0 Gamakatsu monster worm hook. You'd be able to put them through the ringer way better than I would. 

2 hours ago, titleguy said:

Wow... Impressive.  Must cast like a Led Zeppelin though.

On my 9 wt with a RIO intermediate 60 feet under ideal wind conditions is as far as the 10 inch one would go.  That 8" one with teardrop shape on the 9 wt can be thrown maybe 10 feet further, but is a lot more manageable for 40-55' with light wind. 

I made the switch to TH OH casting last year to help make casting these big flies easier in wind and surf conditions.  I have an 11'2" 10wt and 11'2" 12 wt which have no issues throwing these flies out to 80 feet even in 10mph wind.  I am still learning the TH OH casting technique and I am definitely still very inefficient so will probably seek a lesson in the spring after more practice this winter.  Was able to self teach enough to do decent with it, but I still have a long way to go on this new casting discipline.

I have to admit I was really surprised that smaller 6" herring fly was hit so readily by schoolies in the 14-16 inch range. When I made it I wanted a fly that I could throw on a 9 weight rod out to 80 feet that was a step in between a sparse deciever or clouser and the really large flies.  The hope was I would eliminate the really small fish under 18 inches from biting and focus on large schoolies to keepers.  The fly did meet my casting distance goal, but was a more casting effort than I like with bad shoulders SH.  When it failed to keep the micro bass from biting I eventually came to conclusion to just put my sandeel clouser back on and enjoy the small fish bite I had.  No point throwing a 6 inch herring fly if it was producing same results as a sparse 4 inch clouser and beat up my bad shoulders.

10 mins ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

On my 9 wt with a RIO intermediate 60 feet under ideal wind conditions is as far as the 10 inch one would go.  That 8" one with teardrop shape on the 9 wt can be thrown maybe 10 feet further, but is a lot more manageable for 40-55' with light wind. 

I made the switch to TH OH casting last year to help make casting these big flies easier in wind and surf conditions.  I have an 11'2" 10wt and 11'2" 12 wt which have no issues throwing these flies out to 80 feet even in 10mph wind.  I am still learning the TH OH casting technique and I am definitely still very inefficient so will probably seek a lesson in the spring after more practice this winter.  Was able to self teach enough to do decent with it, but I still have a long way to go on this new casting discipline.

I have to admit I was really surprised that smaller 6" herring fly was hit so readily by schoolies in the 14-16 inch range. When I made it I wanted a fly that I could throw on a 9 weight rod out to 80 feet that was a step in between a sparse deciever or clouser and the really large flies.  The hope was I would eliminate the really small fish under 18 inches from biting and focus on large schoolies to keepers.  The fly did meet my casting distance goal, but was a more casting effort than I like with bad shoulders SH.  When it failed to keep the micro bass from biting I eventually came to conclusion to just put my sandeel clouser back on and enjoy the small fish bite I had.  No point throwing a 6 inch herring fly if it was producing same results as a sparse 4 inch clouser and beat up my bad shoulders.

The first time I fished a Conomo Special was at Conomo Point- hooked a fish that spooled me. I fished some BIG stuff on my Beulah Opal this summer and was able to get good distance.  I did this hollow out of yak hair that had great volume and movement and was super easy to cast.

hollow.jpg

2 hours ago, RedGreen said:

TGS

Wonderful post, great info. Thanks for posting. I really need to try tying some conomos at some point. Doubt mine will look as good as yours though. I like a lot that you've applied UV a bit behind the EZ body to minimize fouling. Right now I've been tying flies on the heaviest wire worm hooks I can find, to reduce or eliminate fouling of hollow fleyes and also to make flies weedless so when there's muck in the water at night you're not constantly cleaning them off. I was hoping to give them a try next season. You fish salt way more than I do though. Maybe you'd be interested in trying them if I sent you some? Most are around 8" long on a 7/0 Gamakatsu monster worm hook. You'd be able to put them through the ringer way better than I would. 

Happy to try them out.  I will trade you some conomo's for them.  

This year really gave me a huge appreciation for what guys like Rich Murphy or Bob Popovics are capable of doing.  Things don't really go the way you want them too with new fly patterns.  Sometimes you get unintended good consequences and sometimes its all bad.  I made this sparse jig hook 9 inch eel fly and it looked great at the tying table.  Thing swam upside down and fouled constantly on me.  

A lot of Rainy's CF baitfish and EP Fiber Baitfish flies that I had bought at a deep discount when a fly shop was going out of business saw service for the first time last year.  They look great until you catch the first fish.  Then they were all twisted up and quickly became unusable messes.  Rich and Bob's flies stand up under fishing conditions, look good, and have great action.  To have all of those components in a large baitfish fly is something special and not easy to create.

Just now, titleguy said:

The first time I fished a Conomo Special was at Conomo Point- hooked a fish that spooled me. I fished some BIG stuff on my Beulah Opal this summer and was able to get good distance.  I did this hollow out of yak hair that had great volume and movement and was super easy to cast.

hollow.jpg

That is a very fishing looking fly and it looks like I could throw that all day long.  It seem in daylight that one almost cannot go to sparse with materials.  My flies keep getting sparser, but its a real effort to make yourself stick to less material.  You see to have the sparseness mastered.

One thing at least in the area where I fish that seems to be important is pushing water at night.  I like using mesh head for the forward push, because I hate spinning deer hair primarily.  Which was why I was initially attracted to the Conomo pattern as an option.  I am going to try Popovics bulkhead approach this winter on some flies as an alternative to spinning hair or mesh heads.  It looks like a great option, but my sourcing and selecting the right kind of bucktails fibers will need some practice.  So I am expecting a few duds before I get a decent bulkhead fly.

How do you like working with the yak hair? I have not tried it yet always looking for new materials.  A new material I really like is Squimpish hair.  Its worth checking out.  All synthetic but flares and moves more like bucktail.  All synthetic so sheds water nicely.

On 12/5/2018 at 1:45 PM, titleguy said:

I'm in Portland now ( formerly Winterport).  My go-to flies this summer were:

1.  Early- striper bugger- a fly of my own creation;

2.  Middle- Olive and Purple Seaducer and the puglesi dust mop ( using puglesi dubbing brushes for bait fish patterns);

3.  Late-  Olive and Purple Seaducer.

I also caught fish on some intruder style flies swinging in the current... That was some fun

seaducer.jpg

Those Seaducers are such cool flies, absolutely one of my favorites.  They present a large profile but weigh nothing so they're easy to cast.  I can't begin to count how many fish I've caught swinging those in a current.

11 mins ago, Bonefish79 said:

Those Seaducers are such cool flies, absolutely one of my favorites.  They present a large profile but weigh nothing so they're easy to cast.  I can't begin to count how many fish I've caught swinging those in a current.

It was my go to for most of the summer.  Fished on a floating line, sight fishing tailing fish on a mud flat....

TGS-  Love the Yak- hate bucktail....  I also did a bunch of hollows using farrar blend- they pushed more water and worked OK- they looked awesome in the water...5c097b8cd7f43_hollowfarrar.jpg.aeee9bddb1dd345a9db9277031a8b70d.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

@RedGreen  FYI I am working with the owner of Vedavoo gear to make me a custom surf sling version based of the base chassis for his existing line sling packs.  Its designed to efficiently carry large flies up to 13 inches along with smaller patterns.  It will have drain holes and no fleece so if you take a wave it drains.   I am having him tweak it so I can access my plastic fish lippers with my reeling hand quickly in the dark without pulling sling around front or other measures that can cost you landing a large fish in dangerous chaotic envrionments like from a boulder in the surf, or a jetty's rocks or edge of sod bank drop offs.  Also having him put in specific storage and quick access for other night surf specific gear.  I am sure its not going to be cheap but I found trying to carry around what I needed in particular these large baitfish and eel flies was very problematic so wanted a solution cost be damned.  I am going to be the guinea pig and will be giving him feedback so maybe in two or three years or so he might refine a model that he would sell to the general saltwater fly community.  But my needs are so abnormal that I doubt that enough demand ever materializes to justify doing them any other way than made upon being ordered not stocked. In the interim he may sell them as custom jobs to select customers.  So if at the end of next seasons I have a good report you will have another piece of gear to invest in.

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

43 mins ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

I am working with the owner of Vedavoo gear to make me a custom surf sling version based of the base chassis for his existing line sling packs.

l suggested something similar to Scott last year - tube inserts to fit inside his Beast Sling for saltwater flies and plugs. I have two of his sling bags for my freshwater fishing and I love them.

Please post your progress on this project.

3 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

Happy to try them out.  I will trade you some conomo's for them.  

This year really gave me a huge appreciation for what guys like Rich Murphy or Bob Popovics are capable of doing.  Things don't really go the way you want them too with new fly patterns.  Sometimes you get unintended good consequences and sometimes its all bad.  I made this sparse jig hook 9 inch eel fly and it looked great at the tying table.  Thing swam upside down and fouled constantly on me.  

A lot of Rainy's CF baitfish and EP Fiber Baitfish flies that I had bought at a deep discount when a fly shop was going out of business saw service for the first time last year.  They look great until you catch the first fish.  Then they were all twisted up and quickly became unusable messes.  Rich and Bob's flies stand up under fishing conditions, look good, and have great action.  To have all of those components in a large baitfish fly is something special and not easy to create.

Aw, you don't have to do that! I really appreciate it! I'll PM you some pictures and details later tonight and try my best to tie them in the colors of your conomos. 

Edit:

That sling pack idea sounds awesome. In my current system I've been using a backpack with just my box and other supplies I'd like to keep dry ish, with a pouch with two spare reel spools and a spool of 20# tippet in it, as well as my stripping basket. Everything not in the backpack is on a belt or in my front pouch on my waders. The backpack works but it's a pain to grab pliers and other gear from when my hands are occupied. That sling pack sounds like a great improvement to my system for shore fishing, day or night. 

Edited by RedGreen

20 mins ago, smath said:

l suggested something similar to Scott last year - tube inserts to fit inside his Beast Sling for saltwater flies and plugs. I have two of his sling bags for my freshwater fishing and I love them.

Please post your progress on this project.

Will post updates.  Goal was five 13" beast fleyes in a wallet divider style pouch that would help keep flies high narrow shape intact.  With separate pouch for normal fly box with smaller pattern.  Plus way to carry rest of gear.  This is a take what you need not a kitchen sink option.  so tired off lugging around huge fly box inthe dark. not even an option to carry out on sketchy jetties or to wading to boulder. would end up fishing one fly because I was not willing to make effort to get back to my fly box.  Need for surf sling to carry big flies was on my agenda.  Tried many different brand slings but none were right solution. 

This big fly storage will work for rounder flies too and I have an idea on how to use adjustable foam pieces on velcro to tweak each leaf of wallet for carryinh any large fly

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

I own one big fly, I carry it in a cardboard sleeve all by its lonesome, this year I will have a new sling pack that will actually be able to carry it for the first time. It is eleven inches long and presents a wide profile, it even makes the eyes look small. 

I tied this on Feb 17th 2017 and has yet to see water and I am sure I won't be able to throw this more than  50 or 60 fet with my 9 wt but that's okay. 99% of my fishing is wading and in the fall I once in a great while will see schools of pogies swim along the shore being shadowed by big bass and an eventual explosion. I tied this fly for that situation if I come across again.

It measures 11 inches. it also doesn't have a name. It is made of Imitation Yak Hair and Farrar Flash Blend. I believe the hook is a 3/0 the biggest I had at the time.

P1070854.JPG.df34d3abaf796ca18a8df4e04ec64d17.JPG

P1070857.JPG.3d67735eff4442554525acc37009512a.JPG

13 hours ago, bonefishdick said:

I own one big fly, I carry it in a cardboard sleeve all by its lonesome, this year I will have a new sling pack that will actually be able to carry it for the first time. It is eleven inches long and presents a wide profile, it even makes the eyes look small. 

I tied this on Feb 17th 2017 and has yet to see water and I am sure I won't be able to throw this more than  50 or 60 fet with my 9 wt but that's okay. 99% of my fishing is wading and in the fall I once in a great while will see schools of pogies swim along the shore being shadowed by big bass and an eventual explosion. I tied this fly for that situation if I come across again.

It measures 11 inches. it also doesn't have a name. It is made of Imitation Yak Hair and Farrar Flash Blend. I believe the hook is a 3/0 the biggest I had at the time.

P1070854.JPG.df34d3abaf796ca18a8df4e04ec64d17.JPG

P1070857.JPG.3d67735eff4442554525acc37009512a.JPG

Looking forward to the story when you finally get a fish on your large fly!