ultravox

Retrieve on Penn SS4500

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I recently replaced the main pinion gear the occilation gear and the main gear because of worn parts.The problem I have now is when I cast out and start the retrieve.it feels like I'm dragging 

something heavy.like a bunch seaweed.I oiled  the rollers,but I don' think the rollers would cause such a problem. the shims on the main gear.I had three on then took one out cause the

gears seemed a little heavy.

On 12/5/2018 at 4:29 AM, ultravox said:

I recently replaced the main pinion gear the occilation gear and the main gear because of worn parts.The problem I have now is when I cast out and start the retrieve.it feels like I'm dragging 

something heavy.like a bunch seaweed.I oiled  the rollers,but I don' think the rollers would cause such a problem. the shims on the main gear.I had three on then took one out cause the

gears seemed a little heavy.

There are no shims in the reel and you sure you have the right gear and pinion? Take the spool off and spin the rotor and see if it spins smoothly. Sounds like you have either too many shims, a lot of times those reels need none or very light shims. Turn the handle very slow and see if it is getting caught up. Also check if your shaft is bent. And you never mentioned replacing the bearings. Is one perhaps seized up?

Edited by Big Will

On 12/12/2018 at 10:31 PM, ultravox said:

bearings,were and what bearings?what part of the reel are the bearings?

There should be a bearing on each side of the main gear and one on the pinion. Just look at the schematic.