Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
salt deficient

Boomerang Effect

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I'm at Niagara Falls this week for work.  Ive been casting small jigs, lures, and rigged eggs on a 3ft or so leader with a 1oz egg sinker.   Most times it does the boomerang they rotate between each other, which ends up loosing distance.  Any technique remedy?

Same thing happens when fishing clams on a fishfinder too.

If you mean that it "helicopters" when casting, you need to shorten the leader to 12 inches or less. You can start at 24 inches and work down from there if you want.

Helicoptering happens when the leader is too long. So reducing the length can help mitigate the helicoptering. 

I can think of a few possibilities but the first variable I would eliminate is the sliding weight. (Egg sinker and fishfinder are both sliding weight rigs.)

I would try going with a three way swivel instead. You could try the weight on either swivel eye and see which one casts better or handles better in the water. 

If you don’t have or can’t get a 3 way swivel, I would try a dropper loop rig. Put the weight at the bottom. Dropper loop 6-24” above - higher up for clams and lower down for eel. Experiment with the dropper length also. I imagine longer for clams. Shorter for eel. I would probably rig the eel almost like a drop shot. Short dropper leg, dropper located close to the bottom by the sinker. With the eel, start light weight and go heavier until you catch or until the sinker is ticking along the bottom. 

that happens because your bait/lure is farther away from the rod tip than the weight, so it travels a longer arc during the cast and as a result is moving faster.  the solution is to get the two weights flying at closer to the same speed, which you do by either putting them closer together -or- by increasing the amount of line you have out past the tip when you cast.  If they are separated by a foot you're going to get a lot less helicoptering if you have 3 or 4 feet of line out when you cast instead of two.

Was tinkering today on the lower niagara river for steelhead from shore.  Water was cloudy, so why not.

Like others said, closer the stuff is to the rod when casting, the better.  Shorter leaders too.

The results were significant.   No helicopter and I was casting 30% farther.

Hard to say exact results, my new 14lb fireline on a SSV3500 was pinching on a decent number of casts.  Was in an eddy current area.  Lure would go downstream, then turn to upstream as I reeled in.